Increased Bleeding from Drain 1 Week Post Op After Tummy Tuck with Darker Color, is This Normal?

I had a big tummy tuck 1 week ago and had 2 drains inserted. One fell out a couple of days ago and since then the bleeding was decreasing. The color changed from dark red with some excessive clear yellow fluid to bright red/pinkish with some clots and assuming to stop. Yesterday it went from 180cc(ml) down to 40cc(ml). It only accumilated 40cc(ml) from 08:00 am till 23:00 pm. Today it increased and I'm now up to 300cc(ml) from this morning (7h ago) and color is back to dark red. Is this normal?

Increasing drain output one week after a tummy tuck

+2

The very large increase in drain output and appearance over the last 24 hours one week post tummy tuck is a worrisome sign. I would call your plastic surgeon immediately and be examined as soon as possible.

Change in drainage

+2

Although this may simply represent drainage of a pocket that had partly been sealed off from the drain, there is a small possibility that some bleeding has occurred, so a call to your surgeon is the best step. The surgeon will ask a few additional questions and decide whether you need to be seen.

Increased Drainage 1 Week after Tummy Tuck

+2

Any increase in drainage with a change to a darker color may be a residual fluid or blood collection draining into the drain from a more remote locale.  However, it could be a sign of bleeding, and an exam is likely needed or at least close observation.

Hello

+2

You need to make sure you ask your PS that question without seeing what you are talking about its hard to answer that question.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS