Can I Increase the Size of my Existing Saline Breast Implants?

I have had Saline implants for about 4 to 5 years now. I had a baby about 3 months ago. I dont know why but it feels like my breasts have gotten smaller. I did breast feed for about 2 weeks only and I really dont know what is going on. Also my weight is still the same as it was before I got pregnant. I want to make my breasts bigger but I just dont want to go under again at least not now. Is it possible to just add more saline to my exisisting implants?

You will need to change your implants

+4

Unfortunately there is no other option but to replace your current implants with larger implants. Adding saline to current implants is not recommeneded. 

Kao Plastic Surgery

Unfortunately, you will have to get new breast implants

+3

The volume of saline implants is adjustable during surgery. Now that you have had the implants in place, you would need to undergo another procedure to replace the implants if you want another size. While there is a valve on the implants, it is not standard of care to re-open the valve and add more saline.

Additionally, to access the implants, you would need to undergo a procedure. It would be dangerous and virtually impossible to try and change the volume of the existing implants without a procedure. Finally, the implants are likely filled within the manufacturers recommended range. So, if you want more volume, you will need a larger implant.

Adding Volume to Old Implants? Don't Do It!

+2

Congratulations on the new baby!

First: it is important you wait at least 3 months after pregnancy or after you stop nursing to allow your breast to recover, before any surgery.

Then, consult your plastic surgeon to see if more volume will achieve your goals; after pregnancy, sagging may also warrant a lift for proper treatment.

Lastly, adding volume to an old implant may create problems: it still requires a trip to the operating room, and you will be best served by replacing with an implant of the proper volume.

I hope this helps!

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and going larger

+2

Usually, breast implants have a range of what they can be filled to. Depending on the type of implant used and company, that can range. But in general you will not get a significant enlargement just by filling up your implants. Most patients will need to change out the implants to larger ones to achieve the desired affect. Hope that helps.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-breastrevision-newport-beach.php

Breast Augmentation After Pregnancy

+2

While I agree with what the other plastic surgeons have said here, there are some important issues to discuss.

Breast volume post-partum can change significantly. In addition, the skin on your breasts may undergo significant change. It is important to give your breasts a chance to recover after your pregnancy and breast feeding.

Typically, patients should wait 6 months to one year to see the final shape of your breasts. Patience will significantly improve the chance of you being able to accurately assess what (if any) changes need to happen.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

Not usually.

+2

If you are looking for much of a change in size, new saline implants are usually required. Fill tolerance for your current saline implants can't be much more than 25-75cc which doesn't amount to much of a change in cup size. Re-filling the implants can also void their warranty.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

You may be able to add saline depending on your implant type

+2

The process of breast atrophy or shrinkage after pregnancy can be worsened by breast feeding, but doesn't necessarily require breast feeding, so don't beat yourself up over having breast fed for 2 weeks. It is mostly hormonally determined.

If your implants are purely saline, then you will not be able to increase their size without having surgery to replace them. Four or five years ago an implant type called a "Becker" or "post-operatively adjustable" implant was available. This implant type contains both silicone gel and saline, and as the name suggests is adjustable after surgery to different sizes by adding to or removing the saline component. Your plastic surgeon should have records of the type of implants that you have. Check with him/her to find out if they are "Beckers", and if so, perhaps you can indeed have them increased in size.

Increasing the size of your saline implants

+2

I won't rehash what has been said already, except to say that I agree -- the only way to get a meaningful size increase is to put in new, larger saline implants. However, since you already have a pocket for the implant, the second operation should be much easier than the first operation.

David Berman MD, northern VA plastic surgeon

Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Can you increase the size of your implants? Not without surgery

+2

The only way to increase your breast size will be to change your implants to new ones. Adding fluid to your current implants is frowned upon and really doesn't make as much difference as you probably will need.

Also, overfilling your present implants to an extreme degree just makes them feel hard and look very round and tight.

I have often used post-operatively adjustable saline implants and these have a small valve under the skin which can allow for the addition or subtraction of fluid for months after surgery. This is done in an exam room with no anesthesia. This is the only situation where you could change size without surgery. Eventually the valves are removed.

Increasing Current Implants

+1

Pregnancy can often result in loss of breast volume, which can also be accompanied by the development of breast sag. It’s not unusual for women with breast implants to request corrective surgery following pregnancy for these reasons.

Loss of breast volume is related to atrophy of the breast tissue and surgical intervention is necessary to correct this problem. Adding fluid to an existing implant requires general anesthesia and is not recommended. In addition, saline implants have a fill range which allows for a 10% over filling of these devices. For most patients, this would be inadequate to correct a significant loss of breast volume. For these reasons, removal and replacement with larger breast implants will be necessary to deal with your problem.

It’s also important to know that loss of breast volume is often associated with the development of breast sag. In some cases this will require surgical correction as well.

If you’re concerned about loss of breast volume following pregnancy, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be appropriate. This surgeon would be able to develop a treatment plan that would be appropriate for your problem. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon