Is It Safe to Increase Breast Implant Size After Tuberous Complication?

I had Breast Augmentation 1 year ago, silicone under muscle. I also had small (A cup), tuberous breasts with large areolas. Now D cup. I would like bigger implants.

Since I had tuberous breasts before surgery & now my skin is stretched. Is it OK to get bigger implants? My breasts now are not tuberous anymore. I have 400cc and would like 700ccs. Is this a possibility since they were tuberous before but not now?

Tuberous breasts- larger implants - the enemy of good is better

+3

The enemy of good is better, an old saying in plastic surgery.

Those tight lower folds never completely forget that they were once tight. they do relax a bit in many patients over time, but a nasty double bubble appearance is but a procedure away. Then there may also be new pocket issues that occur that can be very difficult to repair.

Radical scoring of the tight lower pole area can lead to death of portions of the breast.

If your nipples are still too large, there are various lifts that consider the tight lower pole of the breast yet reduce the size of the areolae; this is much safer than putting in huge implants in a tuberous breast.

+2

I have performed this in the past and while it is possible it is not necessarily adviseable without you understanding the risks, particularly of bottoming out or a double bubble.

There are numerous increased risks associated with this, and I am sure I will not even touch on half of them, but consider the following.

The size of the implant has been associated with:

1.Increased risk of loss of nipple sensation
2.Increased risk for long term breast ptosis (sagging)
3.Increased risk for chest wall deformation (curving of the ribs)
4.Increased risk of rippling or palpable /visible creases
5.Increased risk of lower pole tissue attenuation (thinning of the tissues of the breast)
6.Increased risk of secondary revisionary procedures
These are a few of the risks off the top of my head. Please discuss with your surgeon.

Most importantly, remember that although you are seeking breast enlargement, many women present complaining of breast overgrowth desiring breast reduction. These women report limited physical activity, neck/back/shoulder pain, shoulder grooving from bra straps, numbness in the fingers, rashes beneath the breasts, etc.

Many of these women feel significant relief with reductions as small as 300 cc yet you are considering adding twice that to your breasts. Think it over carefully.

Tuerous revision

+2

I am glad you had a successful outcome from a usual difficult surgey to fix tuberous breasts. As  for larger implants, I couldn't say withotu an exam but 700 is quite large.

Can't determine breast implant size without pictures

+2

If your breasts look good now and there is no sign of tuberous changes, then there is no issue with changing your implants. At this point, it is all about how 700cc implants will look on your frame and how your tissues will tolerate that size implant. In general, going larger will increase your chance of complications down the line. Speak with a board-certified plastic surgeon and get his ideas on this. Good luck!

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts are a challenge

+2

You probably don't understand that the tuberous breast is arguably the toughest starting point for cosmetic breast surgery especially in its more severe forms. If you got a good correction of it, it would be smart not to "poke a skunk" and try to push farther.

Going with huge implants, while technically possible opens you up to numerous new problems you don't currently have. These include thinning of the tissues and stretching of the skin making downsizing later a real problem without major lifting. Numbness, inability to breast feed, implant migration southward, double bubble formation are all new issues that loom on the horizon if you change. Why don't you schedule an appointment with Dr. Placik in Chicago and I know he will give you sound advice.

Sometimes you need to be thankful for what you've got and not push for more.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Increasing Breast Implant size after tuberous complication

+2

Without photos it would be a guess if you could increase to a 700 cc implant. I doubt it but you never say never. Especially without photos. Regards.

Larger breast implants after augmentation are safe

+2

Larger implants after augmentation are safe, especially as the breast skin has relaxed to accept the larger implant. There are trade-offs to 'going larger'. The aesthetics can be lost causing the breast to round and appear unnatural. The breast tissue can thin resulting in a visible edge of the implant. In a 'tuberous' breast which already has a tight skin envelope the breast can adopt an unnatural pear shape. For those who have a small chest the implant can push below the breast and cause a double bubble, which looks like a breast on top of a breast.

If your current 400cc implants are pretty and soft you should think carefully about whether or not you really need the 700cc implant. Bigger is not always better even if it is safe.

Best of luck.

Tuberous breasts and secondary enlargement

+2

You should be fine to do this. Of course, you need to be evaluated prior to the procedure. You need to have adequate coverage over the implant.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Bigger breast implants NOT always better!

+2

Barbara1350,

It sounds like you got a good result from correction of your tuberous breast. I would not recommend tempting fate. Replacement of implants, in general, would revisit all of the potential complications of augmentation. Additionally, larger implants place stress on the skin and overtime can thin the breast and stretch the skin.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Good Luck !

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS