TT Incision Sloppy or Do I Just Need to Wait? (photo)

I am at Day 12 Post Op from a tummy tuck to fix my diastasis recti and umbilical hernia. I am 5'4", 115lb and in great shape. I think the incision looks very messy in the middle and at the drain sites. Should I be concerned? How about the navel?

Early scar appearance following Tummy Tuck

+1

Hi triatheletemom,

Your incision lines look normal.  The prior explanations are true in that there is a length mismatch between the upper and lower incision lines when you perform an abdominoplasty.  The upper incision line is then gathered and averaged out across the length of the lower incision.  The other option is to continue to lengthen the lower incision which gives you a scar that extends out farther than it  currently is.  Your question has been asked many times on this forum.  Now that you are 7 months out, have your incisions smoothed out?  Your reply to this would be great for many of the viewers of REAL SELF!  I hope that you are happy with your results, keep up the good work.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Worried about incision 12 days after TT

+1

I don't see anything you should be concerned about. 

Before the incision is closed in a tummy tuck, the upper incision is close to circular in shape, the lower one a fairly straight line. This causes the inevitable "gathers" that you can see. If this were a hem on fabric, it would be permanent. But it is living tissue, and it remodels, and in almost all patients it  heals without the irregularities your are seeing now.

Keep your follow up appointments, discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Thank you for your question and the photos which are instructive to us all.

Scar at 12 days should be OK

+1

We can't see much of a problem, and most of the folding will smooth out. Better coverage with the steristrips might have hidden some of the mess, though you will heal and the incision improve. Things will be OK.

Tummy tuck scarring

+1
At 12 days postop, it is way to early to know how the wound will go on to scar. You will need to give it time and be patient. I do see the potential for a dogear at the end of the scar but this will need to be monitored Followup in the postop period is extremely important to insure that any developing scar hypertrophy can be addressed at the earliest possible instance.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

12 days post -op Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.  At 12 days post op, it is too early to know what the final results will be.  A scar can take up to one year to fully mature and heal.

I ask that you continue to be patient and keep your follow up appointments with your surgeon.

Things will continue to improve with time.