Incision Infection 6 Weeks Post-Op

I have a 2in area of my incision that is wider and redder, a few days ago it developed a small hole the size of a pencil tip and had yellowish pus come out. I called my PS and he said it is probably from the stitches. Today i had 2 fluid pockets(size of a BB) under the incision, i pushed it and i came out of a pinhole in the incision. It was yellowish/cloudy. I dont have a fever etc. Im starting to get worried i have an infection?

Spitting Suture

For a variety of reasons, some stitches become exposed ("spit") after surgery. Although it appears alarming to the non-surgeon such wounds go on to heal completely once the exposed stitch is removed. You may want to see your surgeon to have him/her remove the stitch in the office. It will not hurt and your healing will be underway.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Stitch reactio

The above responses are all very consistent. Stitch reactions occur as the sutures dissolve. It is best to remove stitches at this point. Healing will take place rapidly.

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Incision Infection 6 Weeks Post-Op

Diagnosis: Stitch abscess or a sterile collection of fluids. It can become infected without treatment. Best to see your PS . 

Tummy tuck and incision infection

From your photo I believe your surgeon is correct, that you are developing an irritation or small stitch abscess from a subcutaneous stitch.  These stitches may fall out on their own, but if the area is red, draining or tender, see your plastic surgeon and he/she can remove the stitch.  This should resolve the problem.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon