Incision Hole/ Scab Present After Alar Reduction As if a Stitch Didn't Work?

I had a revision rhinoplasty including alar reduction. I am 10 days post op and very happy with the results so far. However I was cleaning the area tonight And I noticed that a tiny scab had formed on my left alar. It came off as I was cleaning and it looked like one of the stitches had not worked leaving an incision mark. This has now scabbed over again. The rest of the scarring is very minimal and has almost completely healed. Will this heal itself or do I need to have another stitch put in?

+1

The area may heal without intervention.   You may want to get reassurance from your surgeon.

Spot on Incision Line Healing Slowly

+1

This spot should heal on it's own within a week or two.  It's possible that a small piece of suture is trapped under the surface here, which will create enough irritation to keep it from healing at the normal rate.  However, even if this is the case, that small piece of suture will eventually work it's way out.

Putting a suture in it at this point will not make it heal faster.  If it heals still looking like a divot in the skin, a small scar revision can be done to improve this. Worst case scenario is that the spot is still not completely healed at two weeks out, at which point I would consider excising the involved skin, taking out any suture remnants, if any, and suturing the freshened edges closed with another suture or two.  

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon