Incision High on Hips... Swelling?

I am 2 1/2 weeks post op from a tummy tuck. My incision line over all is very low but comes up on the sides of my hips dramatically. The tip is actually a little higher than my (new) belly button. The PS tells me this is just because of swelling and that it will go down and be concealed under a bathing suit. It seems far fetched to me. Is it possible the swelling is causing this? Thanks!!

Update: Scar Too High on Hips After Tummy Tuck

Shape of Tummy Tuck Scars

+2

A few decades ago, incision lines for tummy tucks were kept very low from side to side. After 'high cut' bikinis, one-piece bathing suits and underwear became fashionable, patients demanded that the scar swept upwards at both sides so it would not show below the leg of the garment.

People still vary as to what shape of a scar they want. I tell them to wear their bikini bottom to the surgery and then I mark its position on the skin with a Sharpie. That way I can design the incision and position the final scar to suit their individual needs.

Sounds like you may be taking the high cut route.

TT Incision high on Hips?

+1

Difficult to tell without a picture, but some PS still prefer or feel that a french cut panty is in style and do indeed bring their lateral incisions high, but I would tell you that the incision profile and position does change during your post-op period, relax and trust your surgeon.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Incision placement after abdominoplasty

+1

Thanks for your question, but without a picture it is hard tell how swollen you are.  It is important you focus on healing well first and then discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon in a few weeks, good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Incision

+1
Being that your only 2 Weeks out I would give it time for all the swelling to go down to see the final results. If at the end you still don't like it you can always do a scar revision.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck incision

+1

I would like to see some photos but I would not count on it.  The overall appearance of your abdomen will change but if the incision is too high out laterally it is probably there to stay.

Steven Holzman, MD