Incision Fully Healed and Swelling Question? (photo)

FTT along with a partial hyst. on 7/23. My PS gave me prosil to begin applying once incision is fully healed. It does still have some slight scabbing but only at the end of the incisions, closer to the hip. Is it now ok to use the prosil? I have recently noticed some swelling in my pubic region, does not feel fluidy, but firm & distended looking. I have follow up appt next week but wanted to get another opinion. Thanks

Incision Fully Healed and Swelling Questions

+1

Prosil is a scar reduction remedy and should not be applied to the incision site until the wound has completely healed over (no more scabs present).  As you still have some scabbing it may be a good idea to hold off on the use of this product until that resolves.  In addition, as you are now experiencing new swelling I would recommend you place a call or make an appointment with your surgeon sooner rather than later.  Whenever you feel that there is somehing out of the ordinary occurring, it is best to get it looked at just to be safe.

Postop Swelling Normal?

+1

I apologize but am unable to assess your result based on this photograph.  

I would recommend calling your plastic surgeons office to schedule an earlier appointment if you have any concern, especially if you feel more firm and distended.   Swelling should be improving by this stage, not getting worse.  Make sure your abdominal binder is being worn tightly.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

+1

Things appear in the posted photo as within normal. But why wait if you are concerned seek in person examination NOW!

Wound appearance

+1

I am not sure about the ointment.  What concerns me is the red appearance of the wound.  Perhaps you should have your doctor look at that.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Incision Fully Healed and Swelling Question

+1

I would not try to diagnose from a photo something that must be palpated to identify--if any concerns, see you surgeon early, or at least call for advice. 

As far as the scar product, you can use it but keep away from the open areas. The scar looks completely normal to my eye.

Thanks and best wishes.