Where is the Best Incision for Chin Implant: Through Mouth or Under Chin?

My surgeon said i can have under the chin or through the mouth. My surgeon recomends going through the mouth as he feels very confident about it and there will be no scar, but does admit it is easier to do under the chin and less chance of infection. What do you think would be the best option?

Incision under chin for chin implant

+1

We do not perform chin augmentation with the mouth incision for two reasons, infection and migration. The implant tends to migrate upwards and outwards and has a much higher extrusion rate when placed through the mouth. It can also get infected more readily because of pooling saliva. It is better to make the incision underneath the chin area on the outside skin.

Best incision for chin implant?

+1

The internal or external approach for the insertion of the chin implant (augmentation mentoplasty) is basically determined by the preference of the surgeon. This preference is determined by the experience and results of each surgeon. Both approaches are acceptable. The most important factor is that the procedure be performed well by an experienced surgeon. In general, I tend to prefer placing the implant intraorally and I have many reasons for my preference. On the other hand, when I perform a facelift that necessitates making an external skin incision under the chin, I will place the implant through that external incision. As per example, if I perform a mentoplasty with a rhinoplasty, I will usually place the implant intraorally. If I perform a facelift, I will place the implant
externally through the skin.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant: incision inside the mouth or under the chin (intra-oral versus submental)

+1

There is great debate about this. Clearly the advantage to using an intraoral (inside the mouth)  incision is the concealed nature of the incision. The disadvantage is the possible disinsertion or interruption of the mentalis muscle as well as the possibility of implant infection. These latter complications are less likely with the submental (under the chin) incision. 

Chin Implant incision

+1

Both incisions are excellent. For years I resisted the intraoral incision because of some of the reasons mentioned. However, I eventually tried it. It is now my preferred incision. There is no visable scar. Although the submental incision usually heals well, it can, occasionally, be visable. The intraoral incision also assures that the inplant stays above the edge of the jaw since you do not disturb the ligaments defining the jaw angle. In spite of going through the mouth, I have never seen an infection, and reports show they are no greater than with the submental incision. There is also no greater risk of nerve injury.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Incision

+1

I almost always use the submental approach for a variety of reasons: 1) maintains sterility of the implant, 2) less chance of dislodging the implant postoperatively, 3) the submental incision allows for a more precise pocket along the edge of the mandible where the implant is to be placed.  Both incisions heal very well.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

I prefer an incision under your chin for Chin Implant Surgery.

+1

The sub-mental incision heals imperceptibly in just about everyone after well-performed Chin Implant Surgery. It's certainly an easier approach that avoids oral contamination, and an approach that is less likely to traumatize the mental nerves which could lead to chin numbness.

The choice of incision is usually made by your surgeon and his particular preference or training. I do not offer an incision through the mouth.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon