Incision Bleeding... What Can I Do?

I had breast augmentation with 300cc silicone gel implants on 8/30 under the muscle. I'm a chef so I took a week off (9 days to recover including weekends). I had no issues during that time but tuesday I noticed blood coming through the incision tape/bandage about the size of a quarter. The next day it had not stopped so I went to the surgeon who said the surgical glue was being pulled out by the tape. He cleaned and added more glue but it is bleeding again. What should I do?

Bleeding from wound 3 weeks after?

+1

This is not 'normal' and I hope you have been working with your surgeon about finding the cause and the solution.  Hopefully its 'nothing' and just some blood draining from the subcutaneous tissues.  If your wound is quarter sized, you may have more serious issues brewing.  Wishing you the best and only your surgeon knows what is best to do with what is happening.

Wound bleeding

+1

You should see your surgeon again.  You may have a draining hematoma.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Stop the bleeding

+1

Dear Slippers,

Return to your surgeon so he can ascertain whether you are bleeding or experiencing a some blood stained discharge. He may organise an ultrasound scan to help differentiate between the two. If it is bleeding from the skin edge a suture may prove more effective than glue under these circumstances.

James

James Southwell-Keely, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Incision bleeding after breast augmentation

+1

Did the incision separate or do you have a hematoma?  I can not say without an exam.  Best to follow with your surgeon.

Incision Bleeding... What Can I Do?

+1

This may be a skin bleeder or serous fluid from a separated wound. Try to keep some pressure on it and it should stop bleeding (if it is a skin bleeder).

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Bleeding from a breast augmentation incision

+1

It is possible that your incision just pulled apart a bit due to activity level.  This is the source of your bleeding.  You may also be rubbing the incision from your bra.  Use of a gauze under the bra to protect the incision may be of benefit.  

Bleeding from Incision after Breast Augmentation

+1

If the glue is pulled off early, this can cause bleeding from the incision site.    If it has happened again, I would hold pressure on the site, as this may stop the oozing, and call your plastic surgeon.

They may recommend placing a small suture to help stop the oozing if the glue re-application did not help.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD