Is Incision Beginning to Open? Hematoma at Drain Site? (photo)

20 days post op body lift. Iooks like incision has hole and might start to open? Droplets of fliud came out, right above monis pubis. Still very swollen at monis pubis and above incision. Also hematoma developed after drains removed should this be something of concern? Is there possibility of seroma development? I want to start silicon sheeting but not sure if incision is ready

Bodylift

+1

A bodylift is a very extensive surgical procedure.  It is not at all uncommon to have small areas of wound breakdown - although your wounds appear to be healing.  There appears to be some blistering, which may be from tape?

If you are experiencing increased swelling of any area then it is most likely to be a seroma (at 3 weeks) rather than a haematoma.  This is also quiet common & is easily drained in the office by your surgeon.

All the best

Kim

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Body Lift and Draining Wounds

+1

Dear Sandyjc,  The first step if a question arises before and after any procedure is to contact your palstic surgeon.  They have the knowledge of the procedure performed and your personal history-something we cannot obtain on RealSelf.  From your photos, it appears you may have a area where some fluid that is trapped under the closure may be coming to the surface.  This fluid will often open a small hole and drain for a few days or so.  Usually it resolves without further intervention but this is something for you plastic surgeon to evaluate and determine.  Give their office a call and let them take it from there.  Hope this helps.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Is Incision Beginning to Open? Hematoma at Drain Site?

+1

These photos are too close up for orientation, though I don't see anything particularly alarming. Best is to see your surgeon with post op healing questions. All the best.  

+1

Appears as a real post operative issue occurring. Best to see your surgeon ASAP for treatment. Might need open drainage? 

Concerns over incisions after body lift

+1

I hope you have seen your surgeon by now or at least contacted the office with your concerns.  As mentioned, its not uncommon to have minor wound issues that will resolve on their own.  But your surgeon should be the one guiding you through this period of anxiety and potential risks of complications.  As for silicone sheeting, its usually started after the wound has completely healed (no drainage or scabs).

Curtis Wong, MD

Body contouring

+1

Dear Sandyyjc,

It is not unusual to still see bruising at 3 weeks after surgery, especially after such a big procedure.  If your wound is starting to open in certain areas, it is sometimes your body's way of managing small fluid collections or small amounts of infection.  Keeping your skin clean and dry and massaging any areas that feel full or fluid-filled in the shower is what I recommend my patients.  If you see any increasing redness or feel flu-like symptoms you should call your physician and probably start some antibiotic.  Until your incision stops leaking fluid, you should avoid occlusive dressings like silicone and stick to a bit of antibiotic ointment.

Best wishes!

Angela Keen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Bodylift incision opening?

+1

Hello Sandyyjc. If your incision is draining it is better to contact your plastic surgeon. If you indeed have a hematoma or a seroma after the operation, both of these conditions could pressure the wound and cause it to open. Until all this is behind you, it might not be a good idead to start silicone sheets. Best wishes.

Aldo Guerra, MD