Seven Inch Abdominal Surgical Scar - Six Months Post-surgery. Options? (photo)

I am an extremely fortunate individual- the fine surgeons at Mayo saved my life last year. I do have a large (7"+) vertical abdominal scar. It is red and slightly raised and is straight. I am of slight build but had two kilos of tissue removed during surgery so my scar is not entirely flat. I'm looking to improve its appearance. Thank you for your advice!

Scar treatments

+2

Your scar will get better and better over the years.  Meantime, massage with Emu oil, VitE, Mederma etc will help.  IPL lasers can also be useful.  Just give it time and massage and don't worry.

Seven Inch Abdominal Surgical Scar - Six Months Post-surgery. Options?

+2

Please post a better photo of the scar. But I would recommend waiting a full year before looking for a scar revision. 

Still too early to know

+1

Six months after surgery is still too early know if your scar is going to look unsightly or not.  It typically takes a year for most scars to mature completely.  For now it is best to avoid sun exposure to the scar, and find a topical silicone treatment such as Kelo-Cote to keep the scar well hydrated.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Scar at 6 months

+1

Scars improve gradually over time. At six months your scar is still considered fairly new. It wil take a year or more for the scar to fade.  Give it time.

Silicone Gel Bandages can help smooth raised scars

+1

Try silicone gel bandages for now.

Definitely wait on any surgery.

Scars need a good twelve months to fully mature.

In the meantime try silicone gel bandages all along the scar,

24 hours a day, seven days a week except when showering

can help smooth raised or irritated scars.

Sarah E. Hagarty
Rockford Plastic Surgeon