Inamed Moderate Profile Implants vs Mentor Moderate Plus Profile Implants

I recently had my breast augmentation using an Inamed moderate profile, but I was just wondering, would I have the same look if I the Mentor's moderate plus profile?

Minimal

+3

The small differences in calculated projection and base diameter of the two implants would be minimal in situ- once the implants are placed and interact with the surrounding tissues. It is very unlikely you would be able to tell them apart.

Both manufacturers make very high quality implants. We have used both in our practice.

It is common for patients to wonder about differences in implants, shapes, projections, etc. after surgery, especially early in the postoperative phase.

Your choice of breast implant manufacturer would most likely not impact your look

+3

More than likely, your appearance would be minimally changed. There are some minor differences in the dimension of the breast implants for each implant volume between the manufacturers, Inamed and Mentor.

Thanks for your question.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Difficult to know

+3

In general, I think most plastic surgeons agree that there are very few noticeble differences between the implants of the two major companies, Mentor and Allergan. There some subtle differences, but surgeons get very nice results with either type of implant.

As long as you are happy with your results, that's what counts!

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Both Manufacturers are Excellent

+2

Both manufacturers make excellent implsnts: you made a good choice!

There are minor differences in the dimensions and shapes between the implant manufacturers.  The differences are so minor, you'd likely not be able to see the difference!

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Moderate PLUS profile implants help to prevent rippling.

+2

To dichu,

If you are happy with your result, then relax. The implants you have are perfectly good. The implant quality for both companies is excellent.

I personally use Mentor implants because only Mentor offers the moderate plus profile implant which is my favorite for most patients. The trouble with the "moderate profile" implant is that it is really a low profile implant and it is relatively underfilled. Because of this, patients (particularly thin patients) can develop rippling with moderate profile implants, even though they are silicone gel implants. For this reason, I personally don't use moderate profile implants, but many excellent surgeons do. Plastic surgery is as much an art as a science.

So I only use either Mentor moderate plus implants or Mentor high profile implants.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

The most important question is are you happy with your result

+2

There are numerous options with breast augmentation, the brand of implant and the dimensions of the implant are just a few of the choices that must be made. It is most important to select an implant that is neither too wide or too small for your breast and chest. Either of these features could be fulfilled with the Mentor or Inamed implants.

Very close

+2

I have used both products over many years and doubt you would see much difference as long as the base diameters were the same.  The moderate and moderate plus profiles are distinctly different from the high profile implants in their look.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Would probably be the same

+2

There are really not many differences between the Allergan (Inamed) moderate profile and Mentor moderate profile plus implants. They are both the respective middle profile implant for their company, and among the most commonly used implants for cosmetic breast augmentation.

As a board certified plastic surgeon who utilizes implants from both of these companies, I try to select the perfect implant size and profile according to my patients' breast and chest dimensions as well as their preoperative desires. There is a tiny difference with regards to projection of the implants, but this is a difference in millimeters, literally. So if you are happy with your results, I would not spend time wondering "what if" regarding the Mentor vs Allergan aspect. Your results should be just as nice with either and there is certainly no right or wrong implant with regards to comparing these two types.

Hope this helps!

Brian S. Glatt, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

+1
Inamed (now called Natrelle) and Mentor are both high quality companies. The look would be comparable as their only subtle differences in the profile and sizes available with two implant companies.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast implant type?

+1

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22. Both companies produce very similar products in terms of specifications and complication rates.
4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.