In What Ways Can the Male Nose Naturally Change in Shape from Age 10-21?

My genetics played tug of war the past 23 years: 0-14: motherly resemblance, 15-18: fatherly ", 19-now: even mixmy mother and father look very different: My father has more sharp/hawk-like and even slightly Native American looking features, while my mother has a straight profile with a button nose, high/straight forehead, ect. Also, is it normal for crookedness or a dorsal hump to develop during puberty if there was not trauma or injury?

Nose growth with age

+1

The nose can change significantly through the late teens and it is normal for crookedness or a dorsal hump to develop during puberty even if there was not trauma or injury

Does a Nose Naturally Change Throughout Growth

+1

A nose can naturally change as a child grows, especially during puberty. Your individual genetics play a major role in this. The effects of unknown nasal trauma as a newborn or during infancy may not become apparent until later in nasal development as a teenager.

Nose development

+1

A 10 year old will have a child's nose, relatively small and generally without a bump.

As you go through puberty there is a marked growth spurt of the mid face and nose, both inside and out, and you can develop a bump on top of your nose as well as other appearance changes inherited from your parents.

At this growth spurt in puberty you can indeed develop a crooked nose which is not necessarily related to a previous trauma, but related to underlying asymmetry in your face.  They show a classic pattern and appearance which your surgeon should be able to recognize.  Of course a majority of crookedness at this stage is related to earlier trauma.

Your facial development is basically complete by age 23 or so.

Douglas J. Kibblewhite, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Testosterone affects nasal growth

+1

As a male matures, testosterone has an important effect in strengthening the skeletal structure of the entire face. For example, testosterone causes the bone density to increase and causes a final growth spurt in the growth centers of the nose into the early 20's. Most people notice this as a hump and/or thickening or widening of the nasal bones. Crookedness is usually always trauma related - could even be when you were a toddler and fell onto your nose while learning to walk.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon