Am I in Need of a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

Im 21 years old, never had any kids ive recently gained about 20 pounds in the past year. I plan on dieting and excersising to lose those 20 pounds and possibly getting lipo, but ive been told im in need of a tummy tuck.. i dont have loose skin and my tummy doesnt hang over my pants or anything like that. its just a lil muffin top ive always thought i could fix that with excersise, and that tummy tucks were only needed if your skin was loose or your muscles were torn from childbirth.

Needing a TT??

+2

I think   you are a  good   candidate   for  liposculpture  of  contouring more than a  TT,     eventhough   you   have   some   extra  skin you are    a    young  patient   and the   quality of    your   skin  is    very  good ,    your   skin   will  present     a good   retraction    and  you will have    wonderfull   results   with   this procedure ,    Plastic   surgery   is  not   a treatment   for  obesity and     you  are not   obese   , you are  a patient    that   only   presents   some lipodistrophy or  fatty   deposits   on  specific  areas   of  your  body    that  wont    go  easy   with  exercise   because   is a pattern  of   hereditary deposits .

Tummy Tuck in a 21yo

+1

Given your age and the fact you have not had children or massive weight gain or loss I would not be in favor of a tummy tuck.  You would be best served with diet and exercise and then if you still have an area of excess fat that bothers you I would recommend liposuction.  Your skin will most likely retract well. 

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction a better choice than a tummy tuck in this situation.

+1

I think you would do well with liposuction only based on the photograph. Your young without previous pregnancy and the fat is localized in the central abdominal area.

Am I in Need of a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Dear TH,

thank you for your post.  At 21, your skin is probably elastic enough so that if you lose weight now, you should do well.  If after losing weight, you have lose skin, then possibly a mini-tummytuck would do well for you. 

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction?

+1

There is no way to determine the tone of your skin and extent of laxity from your photos. You should lose the 20 pounds first and then if you have residual fullness that concerns you seek other options. Liposuction and tummy tucks are not a replacement for weight reduction achievable from a healthy change in diet and exercise. Generally, patients your age have reasonable skin elasticity without a lot of sagging after weight loss.  If there are areas that remain full after the weight loss,  liposuction alone could be considered. Tummy tucks usually are reserved for individuals with stretching out of the abdominal muscles and skin after pregnancies or extensive weight loss.

Keep in mind, that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.  

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck vs. Liposuction?

+1

For a 21 year old patient who doesn't have a panniculus (hanging skin), few plastic surgeons would recommend a tummy tuck, especially if you have never had children and there is a possibility of children later on.   If you had a tummy tuck now and you became pregnant in the future, you might subsequently be a good candidate for a tummy tuck. Having had one previously, however,  might make it more difficult to achieve the best possible result.  I would recommend lipsuction and weight loss for you now.  You could have a very dramatic result with this combination.  Good luck.

Roger J. Oldham, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

No Surgery

+1

Thank you for your pictures. You do not need a tummy tuck. I believe changing your lifestyle with exercise healthy eating would be beneficial. If you still have stubborn areas of fat at that point liposuction suction may be an option. Best wishes.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Am I in Need of a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Tryb and loss additional 10 pounds to see the appearance of your abdomen. Or liposuction might be an option. But a TT NO! 

Am I in Need of a Tummy Tuck?

+1

The localized fatty deposition can be improved with liposuction.   Liposuction results are highly surgeon dependent.  I think that you will have a great result with the right surgeon.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck or lipo

+1

I do not think you need a tummy tuck. Lipo would work great for you if you still have problem areas after losing your weight. it looks like you have very good skin tone which should shrink up well after lipo.

Ronald Schuster, MD