There Have Been Many Changes in my Nose Tip Since the Cast Came Off, Normal?

Hi everyone, I am 2 months post-op and my nose has gone through many changes. When my cast was first taken off, I loved my nose. As the time is passing, my swelling is going down, but also my tip has changed so much. It has become droopier, longer and pointy. I have no idea why this is going on. But as I start comparing pictures from the first week I took off my cast to today, my tip has definitely dropped and become longer. I'm confused why this is happening or if this is normal???

Changes to the tip during healing

+1
After rhinoplasty, tip shape is typically the last thing to settle before seeing the final result; this can take 12 months or longer. During this time you will notice that the size of your tip decreases as swelling resolves and subtle details and tip definition appear. Additionally, you may notice that your tip derotates (drifts downwards) and deprojects (drifts backwards) depending on what was done during surgery and more importantly how much support was restored or added to counteract these forces that are commonly present during the healing period. 

At 2 months following rhinoplasty, you are still early in your recovery. With regards to your concerns about drooping, drooping (essentially derotation and deprojection) typically occurs early after recovery and then tip position settles after a few months.

Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. It can take somewhere in and around 12-18 months to see the final results. The areas with thicker skin in the nose such as the tip, alar rims and radix will require longer to settle. Also there appears to be a linear decrease in swelling for the first several months followed by a period where the swelling fluctuates (sometimes little or no swelling and other times more swelling) before the nose settles.

It's hard but important to stay patient during your recovery and to be diligent attending your follow-up appointments with your surgeon.

Tip changes post-op

+1

Swelling of the nose in the first few months can mask some of the features of the nose that will become apparent when the selling subsides

Sam Naficy, MD

Many Changes in Nose Since Cast Removal

+1

It is sometimes normal for significant changes to occur in the 2 months after cast removal. This is why we advise patient to wait for up to a year to determine the final result. this is not normal and it sounds like a revision might be necessary to lift your tip.

Changes for the worse two months after rhinoplasty

+1

Usually the nose looks well as the splint comes off and then continues to improve in definition. Our guess concerning the drop and droopy tip is lack of tip support. Your surgeon will know where things might be lacking.

Best of luck, Peter Johnson, MD