In the Week After Rhinoplasty Can You Do Much?

I am considering travelling across the country for rhinoplasty. I am wondering if I were to bring my husband (to help me during recovery) if we could also enjoy/explore the city/region we will be in? After the first day or two would I have enough energy to go for a drive or walk? If I am not too embarrassed due to the splint and bruising would I be able to go out for dinner? Or to the zoo or a show or something along those lines? Will these activities increase the swelling?

Activity after Rhinoplasty

+1

Generally speaking, during the first day or two of recovery, it is important that rest and give your body time to heal. Most patients have a splint on their nose for the first 7-10 days and packing within the nose for the first 24-48 hours. Discuss your planned activities with your plastic surgeon.  He or she can let you know what to expect for your recovery.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

+1

Low impact activities are totally fine in the first week. That includes walking and any activity that doesn't raise your blood pressure or elevate your heart rate. You will have, at a minimum, tape over the bridge of your nose and possibly a plastic splint over that. You might have some very delicate sutures between your nostrils or they might be totally hidden inside your nostrils. Your pain should be mild to moderate but that differs from person to person. It sounds reasonable to get out and see the city but you'll have to play that by ear and you would likely lay low for the first couple of days, at least. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Out of town rhinoplasty

+1

We have many patients  that come from out of state and out of town in our practice, and we do encourage them to go sightseeing after the first couple days post surgery.  Even with a cast in place, its acceptable to go to a movie, or museum or out to dinner. These type of activities will not affect your healing. It is important that your husband take care of you the first day and night after the procedure. 

Early expectations following rhinoplasty

+1
The first day or two will be a bit rough. You will have congestion, swelling, discomfort, bruising. I would not recommend driving, because most patients are usually taking narcotics for pain control. Walking is generally OK. If you are not shy, going out for dinner or a show is should be fine. Your activities should not significantly increase your swelling. Best of luck!

Gregory Park, MD

Recovery after rhinoplasty

+1

It is generally recommended to not do any strenuous activity for at least the first week after a rhinoplasty.  Going for a drive or casual walk should not be a problem after a day or two.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon