Lumigan (Latisse Substitute) in UK; Are There Any Risks?

In the u.k lumigan is now available for cosmetic use, is it tiotally safe given that it should cahnge the pressure in the eyes and what happens to eyes that do not have high pressure - can it efffect sight in the long term or lower blood pressure. I already have really long lashes but sparse over the years - I have purchased lumigan for volume but haven't seen results and I have used the product on my eyebrows which have gone patchy. Could I end up depleting what are already beautiful lashes

Latisse is the same thing as Lumigan

+1

Lumigan and Latisse are both bimatoprost and are identical. The eye is exposed to a very small amount of Latisse even when it is properly applied as directed to the upper eyelid margin using the supplied applicator. This has been demonstrated by applying a colored dye to the eyelid margin and watching its migration. Fortunately, side effects from Latisse are quite uncommon. The long-term safety of bimatoprost has been established based on 32 clinical trials involving more than 5700 patients over 13 years.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/cosmetic-dermatology/latisse/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Risks of Latisse

+1

Latisse and Lumigan are exactly the same (both 0.03% solution).  The only difference is the packaging and the brushes that come along with Latisse.  When properly placed on the eyelids and not in the eye, there generally aren't any appreciable decreases in eye pressure.  A drop in the eye quickly enters the blood vessels on the eye reaching the targets that affect pressure.  The blood vessels of the eyelid don't directly communicate with the eyeball, and as such don't carry the medicine where it would affect pressure.  There are reports of some change in skin color, but I haven't seen this in my patients.  The only complication I've seen is skin irritation, which has only caused one person to stop using the product.  Most are very pleased with the results.  It does take 1-4 months to see a significant improvement in my experience.

Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.