Can I Go out in the Sun with High Spf Suncreen After Having a Photofacial?

Photofacial and SPF

+1

It is best to avoid sun exposure for a few days after a photofacial treatment.  However, if you do go outside be sure to apply a good sunscreen on prior to sun exposure.   

Photofacial

+1

Yes, but there is risk.  Just the heat from sun exposure can stimulate pigment formation. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Sun exposure after photofacial treatment

+1

You should try to wait a few days before exposing your face to the sun after an IPL photofacial treatment. If you do go outside make sure you have on a good, broad based UVA/UVB sunscreen (and a hat if possible) so that your skin is protected from the sun’s damaging rays. The better protected your skin is from the sun, the longer the photofacial results will last.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

SPF and photofacial

+1

MANY high SPF sunscreens do not adquately protect against UVA rays which are responsibvle for the majority of photodamage.  I would not recommend going in the sun without a sunscreen containing Zinc Oxide 7 % or greater as well as a hat after photofacial.  Otherwise you may see your pigment return and be unhappy with the results.  This should become a lifetime practice.

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

In my office, the answer is yes.

+1

However, what I do and what I recommend is not relavent here.  Please call the doctor who performed your photofaical and ask them what they want you to do.  This is the opinion that matters.