I'm in the Process of Gauging my Ears? (photo)

I'm 18 years old. I'm in the process of gauging my ears and am only up to a 14 gauge and wish to get to the size shown below. It's fairly small, but I'm wondering if when I take them out (when I don't want them anymore when I'm thirty or so) if they will close to a normal ear piercing size of about a 16. Would I need surgery?

Gauged Ear Lobes

+1

It is unlikely that your ear lobe piercings will return to normal size following removal of your gauges. Gauged ear lobes can be repaired in the office under local anesthesia. It typically costs anywhere from $750 to $1500.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe gauging and long term consequences

+1

If you remove the gauge after the ear lobe hole has stretched you can expect some shrinkage but the hole will always be there and could be large depending how much stretching has occurred.  If you wanted to go back to normal it would require a surgical procedure.

Earlobe reduction after gauging

+1

Your earlobe will not shrink back down to a "normal" ear piercing size once you remove the gauge.  It will require a surgical procedure, which can be performed with you awake under local anesthesia, to reduce the size of your earlobe.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Closing the Gauged Ear Lobe

+1
  • Your ear lobe fenestration will not close on its own, and likely will not become as small as a "normal" ear piercing once you remove them.  Closure will require a procedure, performed by a plastic surgeon, that can be performed using a local anesthetic.   

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Ear gauging

+1

Your earlobe gauging hole would not close by itself after having been in place for many years.  The hole would need to be surgically closed and then could be pierced later to allow you to wear earrings if you desired.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reversing ear gauging

+1
If you keep gauges in your ears for over 10 years and then remove them, the skin is not likely to retract very much at all and you will need reconstructive surgery to close the holes. This is more complex than basic earlobe repair and will alter the shape of your earlobes. Please take all of this into consideration before gauging further.

Robert L. Kraft, MD