Who is the Best Surgeon to Repair Paralyzed Frontalis Muscle After a Coronal Brow Lift?

13 months after coronal brow-lift there is NO movement of left eyebrow at inner corner near nose. Outer eyebrow moves some and makes wrinkles. Looks horrible as left eyebrow is 1" lower than right brow. I am sorry I do not think it will come back.Sorry I ever had it done. I will go ANYWHERE to get the BEST doctor for repair. I cannot stand looking this bad anymore. There were complications from the beginning and this has been a nightmare! What are my options? Who is BEST in US for this repair?

+2

I must agree with my colleagues that re-innervation of the temporal branch of the facial nerve that was apparently injured during the Brow lift is not possible.  In these cases, look at the nearest teaching hospital, to you, for a facial plastic or plastic surgeon that treats facial nerve injuries and paralysis.  You'll be creating more symmetry to the forehead by injecting Botox to the intact side of the forehead and/or lifting the paralyzed side upward with a Brow Lift.  These are the only 2 options.

Frontalis Branch of Facial Nerve and Browlift

+1

At 13 months, the odds of regaining motion in the left brow are becoming much slimmer. If a branch of the facial nerve is injured, it will take 3-6 months to recover, and up to one year. If the frontalis branch was irreparably harmed, as appears likely, there is no way to recover function.  Your options include Botox to the right side of the brow (which will require maintenance) with selective left brow elevation, or selective denervation to the right brow with brow repositioning.  I would recommend waiting at least 6 more months, with Botox alone to the right brow to improve position and motion symmetry prior to making this decision.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Frontalis muscle weakness after coronal brow lift

+1

To start off I am not sure who the "expert" for this problem is giving that it is so unusual

If you are saying that lateral grow elevates but the medial brow does not - I would find that to be odd as  the same nerve controls the same frontslis muscle for the entire brow with regard to elevation ( given that , if this is wha you are experiencing than the cute might be that the frontslis was separated from the brow medialy - this is unlikely but I supposed it could happen)

Now if you a saying that the lateral brow elevates but the medial brow does not go down or down and in that is a separate issue.  

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Frontalis Muscle Weakness following Brow Lift

+1

I am so sorry that you have had a negative experience and can sense the anguish from your description of the outcome.The good news is that the main facial nerve branch (facial nerve temporal branch) is intact if you are able to move the outer portion of your brow. If it is weak you have a paresis (weakness) not a paralysis (no motion). It is possible even after 13 months in a younger person to have some further return  of function including the medial portion of the brow (closest to the nose). What is most obvious to patients as a deformity is asymmetry. Depending on your exam, it might be possible to put a small amount of Botox on the side that does move so at least it looks symmetric while waiting for further return of function. I know this sounds paradoxical to what you want to achieve, but it actually can restore some symmetry which will not draw attention to the difference of movement. If the function does not return it may be possible to do some minor surgical correction to increase symmetry. Unfortunately, nerve repair is not possible for medial brow function. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Paralyzed eyebrow after forhead lift

+1

After 13 months you will probably not have return of function. But ! a lot can be done to achieve symmetry between the two brows. Any competent facial plastic or plastic surgeon could help you. No need to travel far but get more than one opinion.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Paralyzed forehead from forehead/brow lift.

+1

Paralyzed forehead from forehead/brow lift can not be re-inervated and therefore the goal is to create more symmetry of the brows. I would need to see photos togive you the proper answer to your problem.