In a Previous Post a Doctor Said, Beware the "Franchise" Procedures, Procedures Given a Fancy Name" Please Give Examples?

I'm 5'7"; 147 lbs; age 54. I'm looking to have a tummy tuck done and I'm in the process of interviewing surgeons. I met with a plastic surgeon today that suggested an Avelar TT procedure. He was not board certified. I was wondering how many other procedures have catchy names and how I could become more educated to help me make the right decision. I am meeting with two more surgeons, both board certified, over the next few weeks.

What is an 'Avelar' Tummy Tuck

+3

Before reading your post I had never heard of the Avelar Tummy Tuck. I did some quick research and I believe it comes down to one word. 'Marketing'. There are basically three things that can be done to an abdomen, from a cosmetic surgery standpoint. Liposuction to remove excess fat, excision of skin to remove excessively lax skin and tightening of the abdominal muscles. Modified and/or Mini Tummy Tucks are what we typically call procedures with shorter incisions which usually include liposuction and may or may not include tightening of the muscles. These procedures are typically done under general anesthesia but intravenous sedation and even pure local anesthesia have been described in the literature. One size does not fit all so you will need an evaluation with a plastic surgeon who can analyze your anatomy, take into consideration your personal goals and put together the best approach for you. As for your question about trademarked procedures - in general most physicians are disapproving of the marketing of these procedures and the surgeons who promote them. Rarely is there anything unique about the procedures and they are using the branding of the procedure to create a marketing buzz. Be educated, see more than one surgeon and you will be rewarded with a great result you can be pleased with.  Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Variations in tummy tuck techniques: What's in a name?

+3

The Avelar tummy tuck is one version of a method called "lipoabdominoplasty" promoted by Dr. Avelar. It is not a franchised trademark, but a particular technique that seems to be mostly done in South America. It may have some advantages in specific cases but is not commonly done in the U.S. I would strongly urge you to consider going to a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery if you are in the U.S. Dr. Renato Saltz in Salt Lake City has some experience with the Avelar technique.

Richard Baxter, MD

Many Plasitc Surgery Techniques Have Catchy Names

+2

The Avelar TT is a techniuqe that combines liposuciton with a tummy tuck.

It can be done under a variety of anesthetics.  

Seeing some other board certified plastic surgeons is an excellent idea.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon

Francised plastic surgery procedures

+2

As has been said it would be legally risky to name these but you know then when you see them.  Best plan is to go to a genuine Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who does a substantial number of tummy tucks and ask them what to do for the best result.  It is often the non-board certified pretend plastic surgeon who dangles the fancy named procedure in front of you to hide their lack of proper credentials.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Franchised procedures

+2

Another of these is the 'AWAKE' procedures. These are usually done by non board certified 'surgeons' in their office under local because they don't have privileges at local hospitals or surgical centers to perform these. The 'AWAKE' abdominoplasty is usually only a little skin excision with or without liposuction and is not an abdominoplasty at all. Make sure your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Richard Dale Reynolds, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Non-boarded surgeon vs boarded surgeon.

+2

There are so many variants on the common plastic surgery procedures, (some of which have attached labels) that it is not possible to list them all.

Some of these are trademarked and the rights to use the term are sold, thus "franchised."  Naming them might pose a legal hazard which I will avoid. Some can be seen on TV commercials. Many of the franchisees are not board certified surgeons, and are taught procedures for which they have otherwise no training, and are unleashed on a unsuspecting patient .

Best advice is to stick with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Some other boards are self-proclaimed, and are not recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties. 

Franchise Names and Tummy Tuck

+1

Trust in recognized standards of excellence, training, and the numbers of procedures performed.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA