Am I a Candidate for Invisalign if I have Sensitive Gums and 3 Root Canals?

I'm in my mid 40s and considering Invisalign treatment. I have sensitive gums and already have 3 root canal. I'm thinking of this treatment because my dentist is offering me a vey good deal to take care of crowding in my lower jaw. I'm happy with my smile and everything. I'm also considering this hoping this will prevent age related shifting of teeth as so apparent in my mom. I'm looking for a second opinion considring my sensitive gums and teeth and 3 root canal . Thanks. - busymom. I'll add picture soon.

Sensitive teeth and Invisalign Treatment

+2

If your root canal treated teeth do not have any symptoms and your root canals are done well, Invisalign treatment will not worsen the situation. However, if your root canalled teeth are sensitive, they need to be evaluated prior to the Invisalign or any form of Orthodontic treatment.

As per overall sensitivity of your teeth and gums, if it is coming from gum disease and/or bone-loss, the condition needs to be evaluated and stabilized prior to Invisalign. If gum recession is causing sensitivity, and if it is due to traumatic bite/jaw relationship, successful Invisalign treatment followed by a bite appliance may help prevent more recession and sensitivity.

Hope this helps. Good Luck with your treatment!

Fremont Cosmetic Dentist

Sensitive gums need to be resolved first before Invisalign.

+1

Ask your dentist what is causing the gum problems and then let him or her fix it. Maybe its from root exposure? and not the gums at all...

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist