Will I Be in a Lot of Pain After Breast Implant Removal?

i have had my implants for 7 years. For the past couple of months i have been experiencing pain, aches and hot spots. I had an ultrasound that was clear for tears etc. i sometimes feel like i cant get enough air into my lungs and a tight feeling. will I be in a lot of pain? can i get pregnant a year after?

Minimal Discomfort Typical After Removing Breast Implants

+1

In general removing breast implants is a simple surgical procedure with almost no discomfort afterwards. In other words a fraction of the pain associated with a breast Augmentation.

The symptoms you are describing however such as "hot spots" and "not getting enough air into your lungs" is not usually associated with breast implants even with a capsular contracture. I would see your primary care to see if there is another cause of these symptoms.

Pain After Breast Implant Removal

+1

Consult first with your primary care physician or internist to eliminate any other potential causes for your pain. If it is capsular contracture, then the pain should be resolved after breast implant removal surgery. The surgery should not impact your ability to get pregnant or breast feed thereafter.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Pain after breast implant removal.

+1

In general, if you were having pain related to breast implants, the pain will improve after removal. regarding the breathing issue, you need to see your PCP to rule out other causes of breathing difficulty rather than simply assuming it from the breast implants.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Pain with breast implants

+1

It is difficult to determine what your pain is coming from without an exam. If it is related to the implants, it may be a capsular contracture, and removing the capsule and implant may help.  Good luck.

Will I hurt after breast implant removal?

+1

Typically most patients that are suffering with pain experience an immediate relief with implant removal. The post-op pain is typically mild post-op pain that resolves in a few days. Good luck with your surgery!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast implant removal

+1

You should have virtually no pain after breast implant removal. --- except maybe a little discomfort around the incision for a day or two requiring no pain mess or something very mild like xtra strength Tylenol a couple times A day .

You can get pregnant anytime afterwards and should usually be able to nurse if you  wish.

good luck! Best, Dr T

Edward O. Terino, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast implant removal should be minimal.

+1

Pain after breast implant removal is typically fairly light. The symptom of difficulty taking a deep breath and current breast pain may be due to capsular contracture or scar tissue forming and squeezing the implants. This can be fairly easily determined by physical examination. If it is related to a lung problem, it would be best to get this treated prior to any surgery.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Discomfort after Removal of Breast Implants?

+1

No, I do not expect that you will have significant (or in some cases, any) discomfort after removal of breast implants.  There will be no contraindication to pregnancy.

Your sensation of “not getting enough air into my lungs” is concerning,  and probably not related to your breast implants.  You may want to have this symptom worked up by your primary care/internist.

Breast Implants

+1

Your Plastic surgeon needs to examine the breast thoroughly and come to a diagnosis of why you are having these symptoms. It sounds that you may have capsular contracture. Capsular contracture is treated by surgery, remove the capsule in total or partial. Modify the pocket for the new implant.

Many women get pregnant with breast implants. Pregnancy and breast feeding will change the breast size and shape, that may require surgery to correct depending on the magnitude of changes.