I'm in a Healthy Weight Range After Massive Weight Loss. Now What? (Photos)

Im 42, 5'11", 173 lbs.had gastric bypass in 2000. Lost weight. Had 2 kids. Gained some back. Im at my pre-preg weight but look different. My body is a wreck. I run and spin daily. Started crossfit. Need LBL,arms,boobs, etc. Will my inner thighs be helped with LBL? And for best results, do I need to have muscle tone before surgery? I see pics with some great results, and some not impressive at all. Wondering what your ideal patient is for optimal results. I added pics- your input is appreciated.

Body Lift

+1

One of the most popular procedures after massive weight loss is a lower body lift.  If you are considering a lower body lift - this procedure (LBL) is also referred to as  circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift.  The buttock lift can also include buttock augmentation.  The lateral thigh lift will help contour the lateral aspect of your thighs.  The procedure can taken between 5-7 hours depending on the amount of tissue/skin that needs removal/treatment.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Sugene Kim

Excess skin after weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss and new lifestyle.  If you have loose skin, a tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck or body lift may be required.  Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift (with the option of buttock augmentation).  A physical exam would be needed to make any recommendations.  Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu
Houston TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

I'm in a Healthy Weight Range After Massive Weight Loss. Now What?

+1

I would perform tummy tuck or body lift and breast surgery at the same time.  The thigh lift and adjunctive liposuction or could complete the transformation.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Procedures after Massive Weight Loss

+1

Congratulations on your new lifestyle and your good results.  Nutrition following gastric bypass is very important in postoperative healing.  It is especially important to keep your protein intake up.  With regard to what procedures to do when, I generally recommend lower body lift (tummy tuck and buttock lift) along with inner thigh lift for the first procedure.  The next procedure would then be arm lift and breast lift with or without implants.  Doing  the surgeries in this fashion leaves the upper body free to assist in postoperative recovery after the first surgery and vice versa at the second surgery.  You could of course switch the order depending on your preference.  I would also encourage you to have consultations with surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who are members of ASAPS and who have had significant experience with body contouring after massive weight loss.

Philip E. Fleming, MD

Massive Weight Loss Surgery

+1

Yes, you appear to be a good candidate for a body contouring following massive weight loss. No, a lower body lift usually does not help with the medial thigh area. Consider writing down which area of the body bothers you the most from #1 to #3. Next make sure you are in good health for surgery with a consult to your primary care practitioner for an EKG and some metabolic lab testing. Because, malnutrition following a GBP can be an issue with surgery. Then, take this data with your concerns for a consult with a local member of the ASAPS. They are experts in body contouring procedures especially, in massive weight loss patients. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon