If I Am in Good Health, is It Safe to Have a Breast Lift and Liposuction During the Same Surgery?

I am considering a breast lift and liposuction to the arms, flanks, and abdomen. I received a consult and the Dr said it should be no more than 6 hrs under general anestesia. Does this sound like two many procedures at once?

Maximum anesthesia time

+1
I agree with your doctor. I set the limit at 5.5 hours because, after that point, the risk of complications more than doubles. It is believed that the anesthesia has a significant role in this process, particular with respect to embolisms. My anesthesiologist would not permit a patient to have two major procedures within the same week for the same reason. Generally, for anesthesia purposes, the procedures should be performed about 6 weeks apart.

Multiple procedures

+1

It is certainly ok to undergo surgery having several procedure performed at once as long as you are healthy, the surgery is not too long, and there is not significant blood loss.

Can I have a breast lift and liposuction at the same time?

+1

Combining multiple procedures is safe as long as your surgeon is Board Certified and the facility is accredited and certified. Benefits include the fact that you will only have one recovery period and the cost will be less than doing the procedures separately. The most important factor is that it can be done safely. To increase the safety profile surgeries are limited to no more than 6 hours in length and liposuction is limited to no more than 5 liters.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy and multiple procedures

+1

The risk of surgery is increased by prolonged surgical times. When you do multiple procedures you have a higher risk than doing a single procedure.

One option would be to separate the mastopexy and the liposuction. You could do one surgery on one day and the other theoretically the next day are several days later.  This may be a way to decrease the risk of multiple procedures but to recover from multiple procedures in one recovery. 

Wendell Perry, MD

Breast lift and liposuction

+1

The procedures you are describing are safe to combine. The safety factors when considering combining procedures center around amount of fat removed with liposuction,  the length of the surgery and the overall health of the individual. Your procedures can be done in a safe and timely fashion by your board certified plastic surgeon.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

+1

I agree with most of the previous expert posters, especially Dr Aldea. BUT 6 hours seems VERY long. I would reask if that is the surgery time or the time of arrival vs leaving facility. 

Combination Surgery is Fine in Moderation!

+1

I like to keep all combination elective aesthetic procedures under four hours. Any more than four hours and your risks of blood clots increase. 

If this is a problem with your doctor, find someone who can perform the procedure in a more efficient manner or split it into two procedures. Convenience sometimes does not outweigh the risks of an elective procedure.

Finally, having a surgical procedure that takes 6 hours cetainly is more stressful on a surgeon than a shorter procedure. I would want my doctor focused and rested!

Robert M. Freund, MD

Breast lift and liposuction at the same time

+1

If the surgery time is kept low and the amount of liposuction is reasonable then there should be no problem with doing the procedures together.  Make sure you use a board certified plastic surgeon and an accredited facility.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Combining Multiple cosmetic procedures

+1
I believe, that if, as you say you are in good health and have no history of blood clots, then combining a breast lift with liposuction is generally safe. I would recommend that pneumatic compression stockings are used and that no more than 4000 cc of fat are removed during the procedure. The longer the procedure the greater the risk also.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Safety of combined procedures

+1

Dear Fixxmee,

It is safe to combine procedures provided the patient is healthy to begin with.  Also the surgeon needs to pay attention to the types of complications that can occur with longer operations, namely blood clots in the legs, for which you should have SCDs, which passively pump the blood while you are asleep, and loss of body heat, which can be prevented with warming devices. Depending on how extensive the liposuction is, you may want to consider an overnight stay to monitor vital signs,  urine output, and to control pain. Your plastic surgeon should be willing to discuss these matters with you.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon