If you are in extreme pain when the dentist begins building up a tooth for a crown, should you get a root canal first?

I could hardly stand the pain when she was preparing me for the temp. crown and it is a week later and my tooth still hurts. Now I am supposed to go back and get the permanent crown this week. Should the Dentist perform a root canal before she puts in the permanent crown?

If you are in extreme pain when the dentist begins building up a tooth for a crown, should you get a root canal first

+1

It all depends on the tooth. Are you having what sometimes occurs after dentistry....post treatment tooth sensitivity or reversible pulpitis. Either of these goes away with time. However, if the tooth was unhealthy and/or there was considerable deep decay or filling, or a crack in the tooth, your tooth may be experiencing an irreversible pulpitis, and if that be the case, a root canal would best be done prior to the crown being cemented onto the tooth.

Your dentist should be able to test for that. If no, or if he is unsure, he will no doubt refer you to a root canal specialist (endodontist) for a second opinion. If he says that, do it!

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Extreme Pain with Temporary Crown

+1

From what you are describing it sounds like a root canal is needed. It should be confirmed by your dentist or an endodontist but a crown should not be seated on a tooth that is having the symptoms you are experiencing.

Donald L. Wilcox, DDS
Phoenix Cosmetic Dentist