Is it Encouraged to Bring Photos of Noses I Like to a Consultation for Rhinoplasty?

Hi, I am going for a primary consultation for rhinoplasty. Is it frowned upon to bring photos of noses I like to a consult? Obviously, it is not going to look exactly like another persons nose, but does it help a surgeon as a guideline?

Bringing photos to rhinoplasty consult can be helpful

+1

There are many important factors to the consultation process, including photos brought in by the patient.  The problem with most photos brought in, is that they are “Photoshopped”, airbrushed, and are of a model or celebrity’s nose that has no relation to the patient’s own nose.  It is a good to have a visual reference of what the patient is looking for.  In addition to the consultation and physical examination of the nose, computer imaging of the patient’s own nose with a thorough discussion about the patient’s and surgeon’s expectations and goals is of even more importance than bringing in photos.

Bringing Photos to Rhinoplasty Consultation

+1

I encourage patients to bring photographs to their consultations. It gives me a better understanding of what they like. You are correct when you recognize that we cannot and will not give you another person's nose but this can be the basis for our discussion during consultation.  Many of our patients bring photographs of celebrities and public figures because it is difficult to articulate what a good nose looks like. If fact, we have annually kept tract of the celebrities acknowledged over the past 15 years and presented our results in the Hollywood's Hottest Looks Survey which has been been described in major US publications. The results are available on my website.

Understanding rhinoplasty results

+1

There are really two questions here.   In order to get a desired result it is important for there to be good communication between you and your plastic surgeon.  After a personal consultation and evaluation your plastic surgeon will be able to show you what is possible given your individual anatomy.   It is not possible to put someone nose on you but we can review features that you like.   The key to a satisfied patient is meeting expectations.  Don't promise something that can not be delivered.  Each individual's anatomy will be different.  
Your result is very dependent upon your individual characteristics.  

Rhinoplasty photos

+1

It is not a bad idea to have photos with you on your exam so that the doctor can get a "feel" for what you want. But realistically, everyone's nose is a bit different and you can't have the same exact result as someone else.

Sample pictures of your likes and dislikes are always encouraged

+1

Part of a successful consultation process in rhinoplasty is establishing a good rapport and building effective communication tools. This is why "morphing" or digitally enhancing existing photographs has become so popular. Patients do no have the same vocabulary as surgeons do when it comes to describing the nose. We  (plastic surgeons) talk in terms of angles and proportions, however our patients just intuitively know what aesthetic they prefer. In fact the most popular answer to my question of what changes my patients want is, "I know I just do not want my nose to look like Michael Jackson's".  One way of bypassing this potential for confusion is to bring pictures from the popular media to understand exactly what our patients likes and dislikes are. From there a surgical plan can be developed to tailor specific changes to fit each individuals' nose.  Open communication and honesty are the backbones of a successful outcome. Good Luck!

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes to photos

+1

In general, it is always better to communicate more, rather than less with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  Photos are a good way to further the conversation.  A qualified surgeon can counsel you as to what is appropriate to expect after surgery after a careful examination.  Your bone structure, skin thickness, cartilage quality and size all play a role in what can and should be done to give you your best result. Good luck!

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Definitely bring in pictures

+1

I actually like it when my patients bring in pictures, because it shows me what they like in a nose.  I then try to replicate it on their face with computer imaging.  99 times out of 100 they don't like the nose they brought in on their face.  Then we go to show them what is appropriate and doable with their facial structure.  When I do the computer imaging, I always try to underestimate the results.  Most important, you should find a plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon with a lot of experience in rhinoplasty surgery, and one who understands the importance of the nose to the remaining facial esthetics.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster from Boca Raton.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Should you bring photos of noses you like to your rhinoplasty consultation?

+1

Should you bring photos of noses you like to your rhinoplasty consultation? I think that this is perfectly reasonable. These photos will help communicate what your aesthetic ideals and goals are. They serve as a good communication tool. Further, if your plastic surgeon offers photo "morphing" this will allow you and your surgeon to modify or morph images of your nose to determine what an ideal surgical result might be. This is obviously not a guarantee of a result but it ensures that you and your surgeon are on the same page and have the same ideal outcome for your surgery. Go ahead and bring in those photos!

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

It is for my Rhinoplasty consults as well as all consults for plastic and cosmetic surgery.  I believe the most important factor, in selecting your Rhinoplasty Surgeon or plastic and cosmetic surgeon, is their ability to understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a more naturally, attractive face.  Having said that, I believe it's imperative that each patient relay their own wants and desires about what they like and don't like aesthetically.  Photos, I have found are a great way to explain the proper aesthetics during a consultation.  

Bringing Photos of other Noses to my Consultation

+1

Every surgeon has his likes and dislikes. Personally, I like prospective atient's bringing photos of features they like and dislike to our consultations. They educate me on what the patient wants, what they do not like and makes it Lear to me how realistic their wishes are as well as if I can potentially deliver the results they want.