6 Months Post-Op Hernia Repair and Mesh Put in for Diastasis Rectis, Yet its Still as Big as it Was, Should I be Concerned?

My Doctor says the mesh is in place and it will be OK. The Diastasis Rectis Defect is as big as it was. What sould I do? Do not want to operate again. I was very sick after the last operation. Is my Doctor ( Surgeon ) being up front with me? I am not in pain but it still looks bad. Have no photos do not know much about computers. I am a 68 year old male.

Mesh placement will not necessarily correct contour

+1

Once thing to consider is that the placement of mesh is designed to reinforce a weak area of your abdominal wall.  It does not tighten the area up as an abdominal wall plication during a tummy tuck can and it does not remove excess fat or soft tissue laxity.  Have a discussion about this with your surgeon as your surgery sounds like it was performed for hernia discomfort and not for abdominal contouring.

Dr Repta

Recurrent diastasis recti.

+1

Unfortunately, it is impossible to render any sort of opinion without a thorough examination and review of the operative records. Is your surgeon a general surgeon? A plastic surgeon? None of the above? You can always get a second opinion, but be sure to go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Concerned with outcome from diastasis repair

+1

It is difficult to provide you with a useful assessment of your situation without an examination as well as pre- and postoperative photos. Was your doctor a general surgeon or a plastic surgeon?

You may also want to consider seeking one or more additional opinions regarding your situation - from reputable board certified plastic surgeons.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

No improvement in diastasis

+1
The operation should have corrected the diastasis rectus. In the advance of a photograph and, particularly, a physical examination, it would not be possible to comment on whether there was no change in your condition. I do recommend that you return to your doctor for a detailed discussion and that, if you have any doubts as to the recommendations, to seek a second opinion from a board certified platic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy Tuck - 6 Months Post-Op Hernia Repair and Mesh Put in for Diastasis Rectis, Yet its Still as Big as it Was, Should I be Co

+1

I can understand why you would be both unhappy and concerned but it's not possible to offer an opinion without seeing before and after photos and, more likely, being able to examine you.

There are simply too many potential factors involved - exactly what you looked like before, the procedures you had done, any medical problems you had, additional scars, what size and type of mesh, and so on.  You should be able to have an open and frank discussion with your plastic surgeon about this, and get an answer that you're comfortable with.  If necessary, you may want to seek another opinion.

Not that the options are likely to be so enticing.  Nobody wants to have a second procedure and there is also no guarantee that a "second" surgery will be able to accomplish more than the first did.  If anything, it may be harder,

So, without any intent of offering discouraging advice, I think you need to take a few steps back, meet with your plastic surgeon and try to figure things out that way.  You may need a second opinion, but it sounds like it will be a lot simpler if you don't.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Results?

+1

Unfortunately, without pictures or direct examination is not possible to give you good advice. If you have concerns and questions and are questioning whether your doctor is  "being upfront with you”  then it may be time for a second opinion.

Meeting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in person may be the only way for you to  proceed could advise and recommendations. This meeting may also give you peace of mind. It may be helpful to take before pictures and an operative report with you.