Improving my Profile? (photo)

I am 22 years old. I recently met with a cosmetic surgeon, who told me that I would benefit from a chin implant. I also asked about the fat that lines my neck, and if I can have submental liposuction done to improve the jaw line. The surgeon said it was not fat, by purely skin, and stated that I have a small jaw, which is why there is less definition. Is it recommendable to get rid of the excess skin along my jaw? If so, what procedures may be best for that?

Profile improvement

+1

An appropriate-sized chin implant along with a conservative concurrent submental liposuction seems like a reasonable option given the photos provided.  The importance of undergoing a thorough in person preoperative evaluation can not be underemphasized.  Proper assessment of surgical candidacy and recommendations can (and only should) be made after an adequate interview and physical examination has been completed.  Always remember to review the risks, alternatives and possible benefits of the proposed procedure with your Board-Certified surgeon.  

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving My Profile

+1

A chin implant with neck liposuction will improve your contour and facial proportions. In over 35 years I've never sen a normal 22 year old that needed excision of neck skin.

Chin Implant for Profile Improvement

+1

You would do well with a chin implant combined with submental liposuction. By far the chin implant is the most important and it will alone make the underside of the chin look less full.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin implant and chin liposuction

+1

afternoon

I'd say you're a good candidate for both a chin implant and submental liposuction. I do agree with your surgeon that the chin implant is the more important of the two and would not only add to the projection and to some degree the height of your chin but would also add volume and definition to your jawline since most of the chin implants that would be selected for you will have lateral wings or extensions. I would also add Slim Lipo to this because of the laser component that would further tighten the skin. The surgeon you consulted with is correct in that there really is not much fat here and is mostly skin. However, you can still improve this even further by adding this laser assisted liposuction Slim Lipo to the procedure. Your overall downtime would be anywhere from 5 to 10 days. In the general risks are bruising, swelling, and numbness of your lower lip.

I hope it was helpful

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck fat removal and chin implant

+1
 The neck fat is removed with either liposuction or a manual extraction of the submental and subplatysmal fat. In addition a chin implant is placed for a recessive chin through the very same submental incision. The implant is placed directly over the bone, is composed of Silastic and will give much better jawline definition. Both procedures can be performed at same time under local or general anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. Please see  the link below for examples of that combination of neck liposuction and chin implant in our practice

Improving my Profile?

+1

From the photos provide, the chin is weak but there does appear to be excess fat under the chin, along the neck and in the lower face.  Micro-liposuction and a Chin Augmentation with a Chin Implant would be able to make the chin and neck more refined and balanced.

Receding chin

+1

It is likely that the loose skin will be tightened by the insertion of a chin implant or by surgery that advances the existing bony chin structures. If there is still loose skin, a crescent of it can be removed adding little additional scar under the chin. You might also consider rhinoplasty to optimize your profile. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon