Improving Minor Scar on Cheek?

Hi, I have a scar on my face, a cut that goes from my sideburn to cheek. It's a light red line on the surface only. (If I run my finger along my face, I can't feel it at all) It's been over a year now, while I realize it can't be removed completely, I want to improve it's appearance.

I went to a surgeon who advised me that it is too unnoticeable for surgery and most procedures he performs will only worsen it's appearance. Would you suggest any lasers, Microdermabrasions, Chemical peels, or any bleaching creams? Thanks.

Improving scars on the cheek

+1

Scars have various aspects to them that require assessment by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. There is the elevation of a scar: is it depressed or thick (e.g. hypertrophic or keloid) and there is the color of the skin (e.g. red, brown, white).

You are describing a flat red line which would best respond to laser treatment. Bleaching creams are for brown spots, as are microderm or peels.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Several options for scar revision depending on the nature of the scar

+1

Scars are apparent for two reasons: unevenness or irregularity of the tissue and the other is color mismatch.

The textural irregularities (which it sounds like you do not have) are primarily treated by dermabrasion or laser resurfacing to minimize the defect.

Color mismatch is generally red/pink from increased vascularity or blood flow to the area or from too much pigment (hyperpigmentation) or too little pigment (hypopigmentation).

The pinkness you describe sounds like it could be treated with a vascular laser to lessen the color. Your particular scar would need to be evaluated for the appropriate treatment. I would recommend a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with multiple lasers, dermabrasion and surgical scar revision.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon