Can Improved Radiesse (2010) Be Used Under the Eyes?

I read all the doctors answers and it was very helpful, but when did they respond (date and Year). I heard "radiesse is improved and now they can use it under the eyes. I'd like to hear if it is true?

There is no "new" Radiesse...

+2

There is no "new" Radiesse.   There is a 'newer' technique in which we dilute Radiesse with a very small amount of lidocaine to make the product a little more comfortable when injecting a patient.  Radiesse is still not recommended for injections under the eyes.  I prefer Restylane to the tear trough area (hollowing under the eyes).  When used properly, Restylane gives magnificent results.  Radiesse is still too thick of a filler and still has too many risks of adverse effects when injecting under the eyes.  The duration of Restylane under the eye area, once placed correctly, is on average 12 months.

"New" Radiesse for Under Eyes?

+1

Hello Mahalo.  We do not know of a "new" Radiesse, but we do know that we do not use it under the eyes.  

Given the longevity of Restylane and Juvederm in this area (9-12 months) we see much more risk than potential benefit of using a thicker product like Radiesse under the eyes.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Radiesse under the Eyes

+1

No, there is no "improved" form of Radiesse. I have been injecting Radiesse for over 8 years and there have been no changes, to my knowledge, in the product itself. The only change was the size of the syringe,

I have been injecting Radiesse in the "tear troughs" under the eyes for years without any problems. It is injected deeply, just above the bone, and only in small quantities.

The experience of the physician injector is critical for good results in this area.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Experienced injectors can use Radiesse below the eyes

+1

Radiesse is not new but because physicians are becoming more experienced with it, plus diluting it with anesthetic (lidocaine) to thin it out, it can be injected in more areas successfully than it used to be.  Radiesse can be used under the eyes in some patients who have thicker skin but it must be injected below the muscle and in small amounts.  Any filler, Radiesse, Juvederm or Restylane can look terrible when injected in this area if the surgeon or physician is not experienced or talented at injected fillers in this area.  It doesn't have to be a plastic surgeon as some of my surgical colleagues have mentioned.  In fact, dermatologists have been the pioneers in injectables and have been doing it for more years than most other specialists. Make sure you choose a physician who spends most of their time doing injectables themselves (Botox and fillers) and not referring it to their nurse or P.A.  Also make sure your physician does fillers on a large volume of patients, at least 10 per week.   The under-eye area is a tricky area and you need to go to someone highly experienced.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse fir lower eyelids

+1
If the filler is positioned below the muscle then there shouldn't be any chance of lumpiness under ther skin with good results.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Filler of Choice for the Tear Trough Deformity under the eyes

+1

Radiesse can form clumps that may be visible around the eye. It is a good filler for other parts of the face but not the nose.

I would recommend staying deep and close to the bone. There are Hyluronic acid filler and other fillers for that region that works well.

Consult a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in faical injection for best result. You want your surgeon to be patient, and meticulous.

Good Luck,

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Radiesse good for upper cheek but not superficial

+1

I have been using Radiesse for years in the upper cheek, particularly medially without issues.  When you get into issues I believe is when you try to inject superficial near the eye.  If you keep the volumes small, stay near the bone, and not too high, it works very well.  By the way, the formulation for Radiesse is unchanged since it's inception.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Radiesse facial filler under the eyes

+1

Radiesse is a facial filler that I like to use for volume.  It works beautifully deep in the cheeks and along the jawline in front of the jowls.  Unlike Restylane or Juvederm which are clear, Radiesse is a white opaque substance that can appear slightly irregular if injected too superficially.   The eyelid skin is extremely thin and therefore I prefer Restylane or Juvederm for the lower eyelids.  Seek an experienced injector for this treatment. 

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

I would NOT use Radiesse under the Eyes

+1

The reason for the visibility and prominence of the Tear Trough is an age-related inferior migration of the cheek exposing the bony rim of the eye socket.

The lower lid skin and underlying muscle are extremely thin and any lumpiness in this area can be both seen and felt.

Radiesse is made up of cellulose and sea coral powder. It sometimes has a tendency to form clumps. While it is an excellent filler in areas with normal thickness skin, I would not put it in the lower lid. There have been too many complications reported with its use in this area.

Dr. Aldea