How Can I Improve (W/O More Scaring) my Post TT Side Pouches? Do New Treatments Such As Zeltiq Work in my Case? (photo)

Ever since my tummy tuck I have these ridiculous muffin tops. Could a combination of exercise and Zeltiq or other new and non-invasive treatments improve my side contours? I am not interested in an extension surgery and I am trying to avoid a liposuction. The reason I don't think a liposuction is the best solution is because the skin on my back is not as taut and I want to avoid a serious sagging of skin on my love handles after the fat inside is sucked out. Thanks

Zeltiq Coolsculpting isn't equivalent to liposuction results

+1

Liposuction is the only predictable, definitive way to reduce localized fat deposits. With one session of liposuction about 85% of the fat in the treated area is removed. With Zeltiq Coolsculpting less than 25% of the fat is reduced with each session. That means that at the next session, again there will be about 25% of the remaining fat removed. There will always be residual fat left with the Zeltiq Coolsculpting process after repeated sessions.

However, it's necessary to have good skin tone, regardless of what option you choose for reducing a localized fat deposit. If your problem is mostly sagging, loose and "empty" skin, then neither liposuction nor Zeltiq Coolsculpting would be a good option for you.

San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolscupting (Zeltiq) Candidate?

+1

Thank you for your question and pictures.

As you have heard, physical examination will be the key to determining the best way to improve the appearance of your “muffin tops”. I would suggest that you be examined by a well experienced plastic surgeon who has all modalities of treatment available to him/her so that you are not steered towards a specific treatment modality.

Coolsculpting is used for isolated pockets of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise.  This is a non-invasive procedure with no down time that results in 20-25% reduction of the fat in the area treated. Repeated treatments may be necessary/ helpful.

Generally, cool sculpting is not as affective as liposuction surgery in that a smaller percentage of adipose tissue is removed;  however, in my opinion  cool sculpting may have the benefit of allowing slower skin contraction to occur ( as the adipose tissue gradually is eliminated as opposed to rapid elimination with liposuction surgery).

Again, in person examination will be in your best interests.

+1

Very doubtful non surgery will correct your issues but if you have the $ funds and time you can try. But be aware that if you do not achieve the desire results than you are out those funds and still will need surgery. I guess a "leap of faith" issue. 

Muffin top

+1

Your reasoning does not sound logical. You don't want liposuction because you think you will be left with sagging skin after the fat is removed but do want zeltiq even though it essentially does the same thing by killing the fat instead of sucking it out. Without a face to face examination it is hard to tell how much of the muffin is extra skin and how much is extra fat. Furthermore in normally concave surface areas of the body like the love handles the extra skin can be used up in covering the concave surface after the fat is removed. Your cheapest option is usually to return to you TT surgeon and have him/her address the issue.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Muffin top

+1
I do not believe that Zeltiq will offer you the tightening that you are seeking. If you lose weight, there would also be the risk of skin sag, although it is certainly a reasonable first step. Liposuction may well be the procedure of choice but you would need to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation who can assess the quality of the skin tone and the potential efficacy of any procedure.

Robert L. Kraft, MD