How Can I Improve the Texture of my Skin? (photo)

I had acne in my younger years (i'm 23 now) I'm trying to improve the appearance of my skin (if at all possible) I don't like the fact that it looks like I have uneven labial lines, especially at 23. The pictures were taken in harsh lighting conditions. I'm trying to refrain from using any type of laser as I'm not prepared to deal with the side effects. I want smoother and even appearance on my skin. Would too much exercise lead to sagging skin like I have? What can I do look more smooth?

Laser Treatment for Acne Scars

+1

I do recommend Fraxel Dual to treat your acne scars. One of the wavelengths that are available with this system is the 1550nm wavelength, which is able to create results by working beneath the skin's surface, stimulating the formation of new collagen fibers. Over time with addition treatments, these new fibers replace the scar tissue, which is made of a distorted configuration of collagen.

Other treatments for acne scars try to address the issue by treating the surface through abrasion, for example. This can lead to complications.

Another thing is that this laser would be quite safe for your skin tone. Other lasers pose a risk of scarring due to the overheating that is caused by high levels of melanin absorbing the light from the laser. 

Your labial lines would probably be addressed quite well with dermal fillers that enhance the volume of your skin. 

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

EMatrix and/or dermal fillers

+1

Although these photos were taken in harsh lighting, it appears you do have deep, pitted scarring from acne, and the beginnings of deep NLF lines. Even though you seem slightly opposed, resurfacing/laser treatments and dermal fillers (like Restylane) are going to be the only things I can suggest that will work for you. eMatrix has much less downtime than traditional resurfacing lasers, like Fraxel, with about 3 days social downtime, not 10 days. That combined with some IPL would do wonders for your skin. Additional fillers put into your NLF area and the deep pit marks would also be extremely beneficial to even out your skin tone and texture. One more thing - wear sunscreen every single day--that's the best thing to do for your skin all around.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

How to improve the texture of your skin

+1

In my office we use the eMatrix which utilizes a new form of fractionated radiofrequency technology to improve the appearance of your skin without the damage and downtime associated with more aggressive techniques such as laser resurfacing. After several treatments you should see significant improvement in deeper wrinkles as well as an overall smoothing effect to the skin. Most patients report the texture of their skin is smoother and softer to touch. A key advantage to this treatment is the minimal downtime. Several studies have shown that the eMatrix did not cause any of the complications that can be seen with the more aggressive resurfacing procedures such as increased pigmentation, acne flares, infection, prolonged inflammation, or scarring.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Resurfacing

+1

Dear patient,

Judging by your pictures, you seem to be an ideal candidate for laser resurfacing. Laser resurfacing does have side effects and down time however it is the most effective treatment for your skin condition. Too much exercise wouldn’t cause sagging skin unless you were overweight and have lost a lot of weight.(does not seem that way in your picture.) Best of luck

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon