What Can Be Done to Improve the Shape of my Nose. Need Opinions? (photo)

I'm looking to have a septorhinoplasty (breathing problems) The reason I want to change the shape of my nose is because I hate the side view, I believe it's a little too big for my face I have small features apart from the nose, also the tip of the nose is quite droopy, only things I really want to change about my nose are; the tip, the deviated septum to straighten the front view of the nose, also the bottom of the nose narrowed just a little bit and a nicer side view, is this realistic?

What Can Be Done to Improve the Shape of my Nose. Need Opinions?

+2

Yes you are being realistic. But best to discuss your issues in person with the chosen surgeon before having the septum operation. 

Nose shaping options

+2

Thank you for the question and the photos.  It sounds like you have a functional as well as an aesthetic component to your rhinoplasty goal.  The aesthetic goals that you have listed seem reasonable and realistic.  You will be best served by accurately visualizing and describing the changes that you would like to see happen.  This can be emphasized through sample photos.  All of this will aid your complete and detailed communication with your plastic surgeon as this communication will be key to achieving a great result.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Improving Nasal Function and Appearance with Rhinoplasty

+2

If you need to improve your nasal breathing and want to improve the appearance it is best to do both at the same time. I suggest that you consider lowering the profile, narrowing and refining your tip,  reduce the drooping, and improve the asymmetry of your nostrils.

Cosmetic enhancement is possible

+2

The tip of your nose can be refined to give it a more sculpted appearance. The side profile of you nose can be improved with a profileplasty. I think your goals are realistic and can be acheived.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septorhinoplasty Candidate

+2

Dear Kassie,

It is very important to fix both your aesthetic needs the "rhinoplasty" portion of surgery and your functional needs the "septo" portion of what is typically called septorhinoplasty. Upon examination your surgeon will discuss your functional aspects that need addressing as well as your aesthetic needs. This will result in a nose that fits your facial features perfectly and naturally while allowing the proper breathing function. In cases like this I typically address the turbinates at the same time to ensure good breathing function. As far as your cosmetic needs you would benefit with some reduction of the dorsum and some refinement to the tip. During the consulting phase I typically use a computer imaging which allows the patient to see the proposed surgical results prior to surgery. This will be very helpful for you to see what changes need to be made to acquire a natural looking nose that fits your facial features precisely. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Realistic Goals in Rhinoplasty

+2

Those are reasonable objectives to achieve.  The septoplasty will change things a little, but I would also recommend anterior nasal spine/ caudal inferior septal trim to improve apparent lip length to give slightly better proportions.

Rhinoplasty - classic

+2

Slight Reduction if dorsal projection. Tip refinement. Transpositions of dep nasi septi muscle.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Nasal Shape

+1

I would recommend:

1. Minor dorsal reduction and smoothing of bone/cartilage junction

2. Tip refinement by lower lateral cartilage reduction with suture modification

3.Tip derotation (I do not think your tip is droopy)

4.Possible cartilage graft (strut) to your columella with reduction of your columellar/labial angle (it is too obtuse)

5. Septoplasty

Your concerns are realistic.

Find an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Options for rhinoplasty

+1

I would not describe your tip as droopy but rather under projecting and slightly bulbous. In order to advance the projection of the tip, you may need special suturing techniques, columellar strut grafting, lowering the dorsum (bridge) or more. Be sure you are very clear with your goals during your discussion with your surgeon.

Ronald Schuster, MD