How Do I Improve the Hourglass Shape of my Face? (photo)

I am 21 years old, and I believe my "problem" is buccal fat. It's hereditary, as my dad has the same shape face. Ever since I was a child, I had super chubby cheeks, but as I got older, my face slimmed but only in the middle. My face is really bottom heavy. My cheeks are also not symmetrical at all. Is buccal fat reduction what can make my face look less hourglass shaped, or do I require jaw shaving or something?

Jawline Easier to Augment Than Reduce

+1

Jawline/Cheek reduction can be complex so be careful. There are 4 anatomic layers that can contribute to a full cheek or "hourglass" wide lower face: the Fat, the Masseter muscle, the Parotid salivary gland, and the Jawbone. Options exist to reduce each of these layers, but often it is better to augment your cheekbones higher in your face in order to restore a more balanced look. My advice would be to seek out a good plastic surgeon in your area who you can spend an hour with you to discuss these issues.  

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Do I Improve the Hourglass Shape of my Face?

+1

Aesthetically speaking the photos show flat cheeks, excess subcutaneous (I call it baby fat) and a weak chin.  Removing the buccal fat is not recommended as it can cause facial indentations making the face appear gaunt when you are in you 30's.  You can have Cheek Augmentation with micro-liposuction to remove the subcutaneous fat in the face along with Chin Augmentation using a Chin Implant.  These would create a naturally more attractive and feminine face IMHO.  Hope this helps and please share this answer with your parents.  

Facial Reshaping

+1

There are some modest improvements you can make to your facial shape but jawline reduction/shaving is not one of them. You may consider partial buccal fat removal and perioral liposuction to reduce the convexity between the cheek bones and the jawline.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD