How to Improve Symmetry of Crooked Lips?

I've been to my state hospital and spoken to a plastic surgeon and a maxillofacial surgeon and basically they told me my jaw is the cause of my asymmetry but as I do not have any bite or physical problems jaw surgery should not be performed.

The plastic surgeon told me I could either reduce the lower lip or add a filler substance to the right side but other than that he wasn't too much help to me.

Fillers for correction of lip asymmetry

+2

The non-surgical approach would be to add a filler (Restylane or Juvederm Ultra) to the smaller side, creating the appearance of symmetry. The great thing about Hyaluronic Acid filler is that you can try this approach first with minimal costs. If after trying this filler option and you still do not like the symmetry or size, then a lip reduction would be the next step.

Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical and crooked lips

+1

I agree with you if there is no bite problems then you do not need to have bone surgery.

The problem is that there is asymmetry with your lips, but to analyze your lis

the normal anatomy is normal but exaggerated

the upper lip is too full in the center, the white roll line is very exagerated and prominent, the philtral columns are very prominent, the philtrum is very deep.

In the lower lip there is asymmerty , ther is deep central cleft.

Work with a reputable good plastic surgeon to achieve more HARMONY.

to correct all the above might be impossible

Lip Reduction Philosophy: Lip Symmetry Vs. Balance, Shape and Size

+1

I would recommend a top and bottom lip reduction if you are interested.

We all have biases as cosmetic surgeons. My bias is against focusing on symmetry (although I certainly see what bothers you). I think that balance between the lips, i.e., relative size between the lips where the lower lip is bigger than the upper lip, and generally shape, i.e., where there is not a tubular unshaped lip are the two big things that i strive to achieve. I perform a lip reduction (just finished one) 1 to 3 times almost every week. It is something that I focus my practice on. I cannot speak about the jaw issues but for the lips themselves a reduction seems like the best option, obviously with the goal to improve symmetry but not to chase it until the symmetry is perfect. Here is a website and video link to better understand my perspective.

best,

Dr. Sam Lam
Facial Plastic Surgeon

Web reference: http://www.lamfacialplastics.com/procedures/lip-procedures/lip-reduction-surgery/

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lips can be made more even by lip reduction on one side or filler injection in the other

+1

In order to create more symmetry for the lips, a larger side or lip can be reduced by a surgical reduction or the smaller side augmented with a filler. What is important to recognize is that if your bite and jaw is crooked, that can make the lips look crooked when they really are symmetric yet tilted. Fillers can help but on inspection they will still look crooked. You need to decide with your physician which is best.

Web reference: http://www.mdface.com/proc_lips.html

Asymmetry of lips: Improvement is possible but perfect symmetry is not.

+1

I think the plastic surgeon summed it up well. What it comes down to is which side you prefer more. If you like your right lower lip, I would reduce the left. If you prefer the left lower lip I would enlarge the right. Improvement is possible but perfect symmetry is not.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.