How Do I Improve the Slight Sag in my Neck from my Jaw?

I am 38 and this runs in my family (both mother and grandmother have)

Neck sag

+1

If your neck truly sags at 38, you may be a candidate for a neck lift procedure, but an exam would be necessary to determine what wold benefit you.

Improving a neck with sagging skin

+1

If the problem is saggy skin in the neck, it can only be addressed through a lower face/neck lift. A neck lift alone will only address tightening the neck muscles and removal of fat in the neck. Excess skin has to be pulled back behind the ears to tighten the loose skin once fat has been removed in the neck and the neck muscles have been tightened.

A facelift or platismaplasty (mini necklift) may help a sagging neck in a young person

+1

The neck can sag in patients of all ages and can sometimes be an inherited feature. This can be due to lax neck muscles, excess fat under the chin, lax neck skin and even a poorly projected chin. Some of these features are inherited and therefore seen at even a young age. The key to improving the neck line is to correctly diagnose the cause of the problem and tailoring a treatment accordingly.

In some cases, a sagging neck can be corrected with a plastismaplasty which is when your surgeon tightens the neck muscle to create a better neck angle. You can find out more about this procedure by following the link below, including other alternatives to tighten the neck.

Thank you,

Dr. Thomas Buonassisi

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sagging Neck

+1

Without pictures, it is impossible to give you specific advice or to give specific recommendations.  However, if you have fullness then a liopsuction procedure may be all that you need.  If you have loose and sagging skin, then you may need a neck lift for lower facelift procedure.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Treating the early aging neck

+1

Some people are predisposed to early aging because of their genetics or weight loss.  If there is extra skin, only a surgical procedure will make a real difference, ie. necklift or facelift.  Thermage and other non-surgical therapies are largely disappointing.  Lesser procdures can sometimes hold back the bigger surgery like microliposuction and fillers.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Sagging jawline

+1

At your young age, you might have an inherited predisposition for a sagging neck as you say. You should see a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine if you are a candidate for a neck lift. There could be different findings seen on your examination such as a jowl, small chin, bands of the neck muscle (platysma), and a fallen salivary glan (although you are very young for this to have occured). All of these conditions might be treated differently.  If there is a small amount of loose or descended skin and the plastic surgeon does not feel surgery is the best for you currently, then possibly filler injected along the jaw behind and in front of the jowl may help, or tightening with radiofrequency by using Thermage.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Improve the slight sag in my neck

+1

Without photos all I can recommend is a possible neck lift or mini face/neck lift. Seek 3 opinions from boarded surgeons in your area.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Correction of early jawline sagging

+1

Surgically, the jawline is corrected by facelift procedures.  Since your young age however, you might want to try miniminzing the appearance of the jowls with an injectible filler or trying laser.  Any number of fillers can be used to hide the early sag by either being injected in front or behind the sag.  Sometimes, a little volume in the cheek can help alleviate the early appearance of droop. 

Additionally, lasers can provide a degree of skin tightening.  Again, consult a reputable facial plastic surgeon who will recommend an effective laser and not "hype."  Fractional CO2 provides a remarkable degree of skin tightening.  If you would like to avoid downtime, then the Cynosure Affirm is a good option.  Good luck!

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options for improving neck sagging

+1

A neck lift can make a dramatic difference in facial appearance. Small-incision surgery allows recontouring of the neck with minimal downtime. The neck lift is ideal for treating people with conditions such as turkey wattle neck and excess fat, but who are not bothered by jowls and cheek contour problems. Smart lipo can sometimes be used in this area to melt away small amounts of fat and tighten skin. You may also want to consider a Threadlift (non-surgical face-lift), which is minimally invasive and addresses signs of aging in the face, including droopiness of the skin of the jowls, and neck without incisions or scars. Threads are inserted painlessly under the skin to lift and contour the tissues, providing an immediate tightening. The procedure can be performed using local anesthesia, and most patients can return to normal activities the next day.

Thermage is a non-surgical (no incision!) treatment that can tighten skin and stimulate your body to make healthier collagen—the building block that provides structure to your skin. The procedure uses radiofrequency technology called ThermaCool® that has been clinically proven to tighten and gently lift skin to smooth out wrinkles and renew facial contours. Fast and easy, Thermage requires no downtime from normal activities. And unlike laser treatments, Thermage can be performed on patients of all skin types. Thermage can be used for sagging facial, neck, and eyelid skin. Tighten and lift without surgery, injections, or downtime. Dr. Copeland demonstrated Thermage on the nationally televised Good Morning America.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD