What Could Be Done to Improve my Nose?

I don't have a hump, but I think the bridge is too wide and the tip too crude. It just unfeminine and makes me look manly and 'handsome' rather than pretty.

Improving the nose

+2

During a rhinoplasty procedure the primary goal on a reduction rhinoplasty is to narrow the bridge through osteotomies. Both medial and lateral osteotomies are performed to narrow the bony bridge. This midthird of the nose is composed of upper lateral cartilages and follows suit along with the bone. There are many different tip techniques to address tip cartilages. When the cartilages are wide and boxy, sutures are placed between the two dome cartilages to refine and feminize the nose. When the cartilages are of excess in nature, some of the tip cartilages are trimmed to refine the tip.  

Thinning a wide nose with rhinoplasty

+2

It is difficult to tell in your photo, but you appear to have a widened middle of your nose and broad tip with wide nostrils. You state you do not have a hump. Certainly, these things can be addressed with rhinoplasty surgery. You appear to have thin skin, so you should respond well to surgical shaping of your nose. Your best bet is to consult with a surgeon and get their thoughts about surgical correction.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

"manly nose"

+2

From the picture and your expressed concerns I would recommend a complete classic rhinoplasty with takedown of the dorsum, infracturing and refinement of the tip with resection of some cartilage.  The possibility of a cartilage graft would be discussed in a consultation.  A full consultation with a board certified surgeon is recommended.

Tal Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Rhinoplasty in New York

+2

Sally Ann,

Unfortunately, a single view photograph is not really enough information on which to recommend specifics about a rhinoplasty.  The photo does however show that your nose is out of proportion to your facial shape and size.  Based on that, you would likely benefit from a rhinoplasty.  Consultation with one or two board certified plastic surgeons will give you a more accurate idea of what you need to achieve your goals.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

What Could Be Done to Improve my Nose?

+2
Regarding: "I don't have a hump, but I think the bridge is too wide and the tip too crude. It just unfeminine and makes me look manly and 'handsome' rather than pretty" In fairness to you and the many others who read these responses, it must be understood that the best medical opinions are based to matching findings and data to surgical experience and artistry. In the absence of good data, we are left to either decline responding or to giving generalized responses which are of little use. When it comes to Nose Surgery (Rhinoplasty) we physically examine the nose AND critically go over a set of photographs which depict the nose from multiple standardized views to be able to render cogent recommendations. While you thankfully did submit a photograph it is not unfortunately of a good enough quality to support a specific recommendation. If your nose is too wide, you may benefit from a reduction in the width of the nose with medial breaking of the nose along the midline and the sides. A wide, amorphous tip can be made attractive with a tip rhinoplasty. Your best bet is to visit more than one nose surgeon and understand your options before having the surgery. Dr. Peter Aldea

Rhinoplasty evaluation

+2
Thanks for including a picture.  This is always a good idea.  To evaluate your nasal aesthetics, multiple views are always the best, but, I would agree that the nasal dorsum is too broad.  The tip could also be refined.  These changes should be subtle, so that they will not make you look like a different person.  An open rhinoplasty is preferred by many, including myself.  I would advise that you visit one or several plastic surgeons.  Rhinoplasty is one of the most frequently revised procedures.  You would hope to get it right the first time, in part, by choosing the doctor that you are most confident with.  Good luck!

Jason R. Hess, MD

Refinement in Rhinoplasty

+2

The majority of the time, rhinoplasty is about refining the nose, not reducing a “hump.” Although I can not really evaluate your nose from the picture, it seems to just need refining of the features and thinning generally. The only way to determine this is with a personal consultation with a Plastic Surgeon. Determine exactly what bothers you and how you would like to modify the nose and then make an appointment to discuss this.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Nose is "not feminine.

+2

Your nose, based on the one picture, is to wide in the middle third and the tip could be refined. If you have a bump on the profile this can be removed. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for the best result. Make sure you like his results!

Finesse Rhinoplasty.

+2
Hi. I agree that your nose looks too wide for your face, and draws attention to itself. It looks like the bridge needs to be narrowed. Also a tip plasty will refine or sculpt the tip. We most often do this with internal sutures, and sometimes with small cartilage grafts taken from the septum of the nose. A small change in the nose can make a huge difference in the face.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)