Based on the photos attached, how could I go about improving my profile? (photo)

Based on the photos attached, how could I go about improving my profile? I will be getting a cephalometric analysis done to determine my jaw relationship (suspecting class II), but my teeth are perfectly aligned, so this may not be an issue? In terms of genetics, my mum also has a recessed chin. Could this have an influence? Oh, and I'm 19 years old.

Implant vs. Osteotomy for Chin Augmentation

+2

You would do well with either a chin implant or a sliding genioplasty. This would be determined by whether you want just horizontal advancement or a combined horizontal and vertical elongation of your chin. Your cephalometric x-ray would be very helpful in making that determination as tracings can be done on it to show the difference between the two.

Chin Implant if Occlusion OK

+1

If your occlusion is OK, then a chin implant is appropriate.  The cephalometric exam is the most appropriate next step.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Chin Augmentation

+1

Dear JamesB, If your teeth alignment is proper and you just have a weak chin this can be taken care of with a chin augmentation using a small chin implant in your case. It is difficult to see your neck so I am unable to determine if you need any sub mental liposuction at the same time. A direct examination using digital imaging would be helpful in showing you the possibilities of different procedures. To answer your question regarding your genetics yes we do see that genetics are responsible for recessed chins in families the same way we see noses in certain ethnicity's to be more prominent etc. Cultural genetics play an important part in surgery. As a surgeon you want to preserve a natural look post surgery that helps align your features aesthetically providing a look that appears you were born with. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Chin implant to improve profile

+1

To improve  the profile of the chin, a chin implant is usually recommended. The chin implants come in multiple different sizes and shapes,and are composed of Silastic.  They are placed through a small submental incision underneath the chin. The chin implant will also give a slight widening effect to the chin and improvement in the vertical height of the chin as well.  With a chin implant in place, the nose looked less projecting.

Look at the chin when analyzing the profile

+1

You hit the nail on the head with your question. When patients come in to discuss rhinoplasty, the first thing we address is the chin. A small or weak chin can make the nose look larger. Often chin implants are used to balance the profile when rhinoplasty is performed. Your surgeon will let you know of a chin implant is required.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to improve profile?

+1

First of all, a recessive chin can definitely be due to hereditary issues.  Assuming that everything is fine with your teeth, you do appear to be a good candidate for chin augmentation with an implant.  There are many different types and sizes of chin implants, and you should be able to discuss your options at a consultation with a surgeon experienced in such procedures.  It does not appear that you need a large implant, as I think only a small amount of added projection will be adequate.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon