What Could Be Done to Improve my Nose? (photo)

I've always been dissatisfied with how my nose looks, even when I was very young. It's too wide and flat at the bottom and too flat at the bridge. I want what would look best on my face, but don't want synthetic materials used if possible. Also I would want to know if possible a price range for the type of surgery I would need. Thanks!

What Could Be Done to Improve my Nose?

+3

Agree with Dr Mayer, Onlay cartilage or bone grafts plus tip refinement is indicated. Fee also from $7 to $12K 

Asian rhinoplasty

+3

The Asian rhinoplasty procedure would involve augmentation of the bridge  of the nose with the patient's own cartilage harvested from inside the nose or the rib. Silastic implants are also used occasionally with excellent results.  An   alar platy procedure would narrow the nostrils and some tip refinement could also be performed all under close rhinoplasty techniques. This is performed under general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. Cost of the rhinoplasty is $7-$8000 which includes the operating room anesthesia and surgeons fee.

Asian rhinoplasty.

+3

Your nose like may Asian noses I have done for 35 years involves a bridge graft of your own cartilage and along with refinement of the tip and narrowing of your nostrils. The cost varies according to the time but 7-10K is average.

Improving Asian nose appearance

+2

There are a few ways of treat the flat bridge and wide nose like you describe. It is common to build up the bridge with a cartilage graft or silicone implant. I prefer using cartilage grafts in my practice.

It is also possible to narrow and refine your tip with rhinoplasty surgery as well. This often involves conservative nostril narrowing techniques.

Price ranges do vary by region of the country but I was expect a rough total cost of $7000-9,000 depending on who you choose. You would be able to get a more solid price quote after consulting with your surgeon, of course.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Asian rhinoplasty

+2

The width of the nose is easy to address using Weir excisions to narrow the nostril base.  The remainder of the nose can also be substantially improved but a cartilage graft will be required.  Since your nose is so flat I would not plan to use septal cartilage; the ear is a better donor site.  In some cases rib can be used, as well.  Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can show you a series of pre- and post-op pictures so you can see the type of results that are reasonable.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Rhinoplasty

+2

I would do some work on your tip to try to obtain better definition.  Also, you are ideal for alar wedge resection, which involved cutting out a segment of your nostril to narrow the base.  Although you have a low bridge, I would not try to augment it with a graft or implant.  They tend to look weird and I think the change is usually not an improvement.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Improving the bridge height and tip area with your own cartilage

+2

I agree that it would be worthwhile to address the areas of your concern. I would use only your own tissues to build up the bridge, give better tip definition and narrow the nostrils. If you have had prior nose surgery or facial bone surgery, it will be important for your surgeon to know this history. Best wishes!

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Ethnic rhinoplasty is really about personal aesthetics

+2

It's hard to give speific recommendations about rhinoplasty without actually seeing and individual in person. I might comment that you have a low flat bridge, but that may be your favorite or familial feature that you want to keep. In general, rhinoplasty on Asian patients is more about augmentation (adding to the nose) and creating tip definition. I find that computer imaging is excellent for this.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Best options for nose augmentation in Asians

+2

A safe and effective option to augment the bridge of your nose is a dorsal implant.  Because there is no pressure at the tip of the nose (unlike L shaped implants), there is minimal risks for implant complications.  Your other option is to use your own cartilage from behind your ears.  The base of the nose can be narrowed to better proportion.  Some minor tip work with cartilage grafting will improve your tip and give it more definition.

C. Carson Huynh, MD, DMD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving Nasal Definition

+2

I support your desire to have a more defined projected nose. The bridge can be improved with cartilage grafts harvested from your own tissue. I avoid the use silicone or synthetics because of the risk of infection, movement, or extrusion. The base of your nose and tip should be narrowed so it is proportional to the rest of your facial features..