How Do I Improve My Labiaplasty Scars?

6 months ago, I had botched labiaplasty surgery. The scars are very red and thick, and though I've been applying vitamin E oil, it hasn't improved much. Is there anything else I can do to improve it?

Labiaplasty revision in Los Angeles

+1

I perform a lot of revision surgery and believe that early intervention is key in labiaplasty revisions to prevent further retraction of the labia minora.  I would consult with a knowledgeable revision labiaplasty surgeon to discuss details. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Labiaplasty scars

+1

The scars often depend on the procedure performed. Scars are usually worse with the trimming technique.  If your scars persist and do not improve in another six months you may need a labiaplasty reconstruction.  I published the only major article on labia reconstruction after labiaplasty in the prestigious plastic surgery journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago.

Sincerely,

Dr. Gary Alter

Gary J. Alter, MD

Botched labiaplasty.

+1

Scars following labiaplasty are generally minimal, but there are certain genetic individuals and specific post-operative situations (bleeding, wound separation, persistent inflammation, etc.) that can cause more severe scarring in any operation in any area, including the labia minora.

Vitamin E massage may provide some improvement, but other intervention (s) may be advisable or recommended, including steroid injection. At 6 months post-op, it is likely the scars are still immature and can be expected to change, but the amount of change may be minimal.

You should return to your surgeon if at all possible, and if not, you can seek out a second opinion by an experienced ABPS-certified plastic surgeon who does labiaplasty surgery. Good luck and best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty scars

+1

Agree that a photo would be helpful, but keep in mind that scars will change (soften, less red, flatter) for up to a year after surgery.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty scars are not common

+1

and for you to get objective comments, a photo is necessary.  Knowledge of just what was done would also help others in formulating their comments. 

Curtis Wong, MD