What Can I Do to Improve my Hooded Eyelids? (photo)

I'm 21 and I find my eyelids to be too hooded, and I look like I have already 40! My mother has the same hooded eye, so as my father. What is the best procedure I can have to get rid of some skin on my eyelid? It is laser a good option? Would you suggest me to wait some years? Thank you

Unfortunately you are putting yourself a tremendous aesthetic risk asking for eyelid surgery.

+2

I agree that you would benefit from eyelid surgery.  No you do not look forty.  The issue is that you need a very conservative upper blepharoplasty.  Unfortunately that is not the surgery you are likely to get.  Most eyelid surgeons think it is their job to remove every bit of upper eyelid fold and fat.  This hollows out the upper eyelid-think Kenny Rogers.  The answer for you is what I call a microblepharoplasty.  A minimal skin removal is performed to expose more of the eyelid platform but preserve the natural fold.  Currently your upper eyelid fold actually rests on your eyelashes.  This means that any eye liner gets rubbed off by the eyelid fold.  The key with the surgery is to understand that the fold is important but to remove enough to expose a uniform stip of eyelid platform.  My website has examples of this type of work. The other issue that the photo demonstrates is a very small degree of upper eyelid ptosis.  This can be compensated for at the time of eyelid surgery by tightening the levator aponeurosis when the anchor blepharoplasty is performed with the microblepharoplasty.  Bottom line is that please do not expect your neighborhood eyelid surgeon to do this type of refined eyelid procedure.

What Can I Do to Improve my Hooded Eyelids?

+1

At 21, there's little chance that the upper eyelid hooding is due to excess skin.  far more likely that the eyebrows are low.  I have performed Brow Lifts for 27 year olds but not as young as you at 21.  Best to see an experienced plastic and cosmetic surgeon for evaluation and consultation on what's possible.

Congenital Eyelid Hooding

+1

There are a few options out there for your situation: non invasive procedures, such as Botox, or an actual surgery like a blepharoplasty, are both fixes for hooded eyes. Since you are still so young I would probably just do a slight lift with Botox, which is enough to give that soft natural look. However, it is always best to set up a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon where you can go over all your concerns and they can see in person what is going on. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Conservative skin only blepharoplasty

+1

Firstly, you should understand that you have very attractive and youthful eyes/eyebrows. And it is unusual to have a blepharoplasty at such a young age. But as part of your normal anatomy, you DO have  hereditary eyelid fullness that is bothersome to some people.

Personally, my preference is avoid surgery in young, attractive patients, as the risk to benefit ratio is too high. However, I've had a few young patient's that were very unhappy with this anatomy, and after having a good discussion with them regarding risks of surgery and possible changes  to the overall look, have offered blepharoplasty with excellent patient satisfaction. I have provided the link to the before and after photos of a similar patient. She was a 22 year old woman who wanted to be able to wear eye makeup for her wedding, and was thrilled with the final post op result.

If you like the outcome of that patient  [link below], you could consider a conservative SKIN ONLY blepharoplasty. You should NOT have any fat or muscle removed! You would risk a very hollow upper eyelid as you get older.

Be absolutely sure with your decision before taking the plunge, and don't ever let a surgeon talk you into a procedure that you are not comfortable with.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hooding at a young age

+1

You do have some hooding but it is very mild.  This most likely is due to a combination of some brow droop and mild excess of skin.  At your age I would hold off on a browlift unless you do modeling for a living.  You may consider doing nothing or a very conservative upper blepharoplasty.  Another option is to try Botox to lift the brow slightly but the effect lasts only 3-5 months. 

Clyde H. Ishii, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Perhaps blepharoplasty but a consultation for your unique case and to understand risks is necessary

+1

Age in the case of some elective surgeries for cosmetic reasons (as long as the person is a legal adult of course) may not be the most important factor as it may be more of a question of how your results will make you feel, especially if they will significantly increase your confidence and perceived effectiveness in social life and career.  In most cases, the surgical intervention for this type of problem would be blepharoplasty but you always need a consultation with your doctor before determining what is available for your unique history and desired results.  You will also need to understand the risks of this type of surgery, important information also conveyed during your consultation.

Michael E. Jones, MD

+1

Even at your young age I see the hooding effect. As long as you FULLY understand the risk/benefit ratio of upper lid blepharoplasty than you could have this operation. 

Early Hooding Likely From Brow Ptosis

+1
Early brow ptosis from congenital forehead shape can leade to early eyelid hooding.  In young patients like yourself, dysport or botox for brow shaping can elevate brow postion and give your eyes a fressher look.  It will not completely correct your hooding but it will improve it slightly in a safe, non-surgical way.  If you like the results, you may want to consider and upper blepharoplasty with a brow pexy.  If you treat the hooding with only a blepharoplasty, you are not treating the cause...brow hooding.  You are likely to have clean eyelids but a tired look to your eyes.  All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Familial eyelid hooding

+1

Your upper eyelids are full (youthful) but with a lower than usual fold which you inherited from your parents.  The upper lid skin does not touch your lashes so you probably can wear make up in the area without developing smudges.

If the position of the fold is a bother, you can have a conserative portion of the upper lid skin removed to give a more opened appearance.  Request that your surgeon not remove any fat so that your youthful appearance is preserved.

Good luck! 

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty for Congenital Hooded Upper Lids

+1

You definitely do not look aged, but you do have a little too much skin in the upper eyelids and may have a lax attachment of the lid to the underlying cartilage and muscle. The only thing I wold do for you would be a very conservative skin removal and perhaps reattachment of the skin t the underlying structures to give you better definition. Under NO circumstances should you let anyone remove any fat from your eyelids. If you do, this will make you look aged. Look for a surgeon who is experienced in eyelid surgery for congenital problems.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon