How Can I Improve Hyperpigmentation After a Breast Reduction?

I had a breast reduction in 2007 at 19 y/o. Surgery went well and I have not had any problems; I have dark scars from the incisions. The surgeon made large incisions underneath my breast and at one point they were raised and hard. I massaged them and used vitamin e oil & Bio Oil. Now they are softer and lighter, but very noticeable. I am self-conscious about it the older I get. I am wondering what treatments I can do on the scars? Will silicone sheets or steroid injections improve them? Thanks!

Hyperpigmentation of scars

+1

Tough call in terms of treating hyperpigmented scars post surgery now more than 3-4 years out. You may want to see a dermatologist.  They may be able to use some light therapy to lighten them a bit.

Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation

+1

Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is a difficult condition to treat and freqeuntly time is your best friend. If there are no great options for treating this.

Scarring After Breast Reduction

+1

The hardest part of the breast reduction is the scars, and how they will heal afterwards.  Since your scars have been maturing for at least three years, there is not alot that is going to change on its own.  If they are soft and smooth, then silicone sheeting will not help at all.  If it is a hyperpigmentation issue, then a steroid injection or laser resurfacing can be of some help.  The problem with the steroid injections is that, while they do lighten the scars, the tissues can thin and spread out, making the scars wider and thinner.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon