Improving Dog Bite Scar on Face of a Two Year Old?

My 2-year-old daughter was bitten by a dog 4 months ago. He punctured a tiny hole in the valley between her nose and cheek. Based on size, location and infection prevention, the doctors didn't stitch. I polysporined it and it healed quickly. But she was left with a hypertrophic scar in that spot.

Initially, it was raised, thick and red. I've applied Kelo-cote for 3 months, the color has improved greatly, and the skin is somewhat softer. But it's not completely gone - it's like a tiny "bubble" - particularly when she winces it pops out. What can I expect scar-wise for her? Will it flatten and smooth out?

Thanks,
Kayla, Brooklyn

Improving thick dog bite scars

+1

Dog bite scars on the face can be improved with a combination of pulsed dye laser, fractional laser, and percutaneous scar release (PSR).

Web reference: http://surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/38/scar-revision.aspx

Dog bite scar

+1
If the skin was lacerated full thickness by the dog bite, then the scar will not go away,a lthough hopefully, it may fade. You will need to wait a year for healing to be completed before making an assessment. I do not recommend scar revision for a child of this age. It would require general anesthesia and revision can be undertaken when your daughter is older and better able to understand the circumstances.

Dog bite scar

+1

A dog bite scar may be able to be revised at a later date. It is still early, and  I would give it at least a year to mature before deciding on what if anything can be done for the scar.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.