What Can Be Done the Improve the Appearance of my Alae?

Hello , I wanted to know what can be done to improve the appearance of my alae? I feel like maybe the rim is too low or too convex? What can be done to make them look better?

Rhinoplasty fine points

+1

Your question is technique specific and there are many ways to address this issue. The dorsal hump can be improved, the bony pyramid narrowed, the upper lateral nasal valve area is widened and will benefit from refinement but not compromise of the valve area. The nasal tip is bolbous and some refinment in order. Lastly the colummella and alar relationship can be improved upon by creating a slight alar elevation through an internal pyriform aperture incision combined with slight colummella rotation and columella base projection.

Combining all these standard rhinoplasy maneuvers into one well orchestrated procedure will yield a nturally appearing nose that will have a more refined apperance. To achive this you do not need any external nasal, alar, or colummella scars or incisions.

New Haven Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Malposition is your big problem.

+1

I have to agree with Dr Siegel on this one. Your most challenging problem is the "parentheses deformity" which is due to alar malposition. You must be careful with your terminology. In the nose, the term "alae" has dual meaning. Alae can be used to describe the lateral portion of the nostril. However, alae can also refer to the actual cartilages that make up the lower lateral cartilages in the nasal tip. The most important manuever that will improve the appearance of your nasal tip is repositioning of your lateral alar cartilages to a more natural (lateral) position. This frequently requires alar extension grafts (also known as lateral alar strut grafts). Further, your tip position appears to be too low, and would benefit from a strong columellar strut graft.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Improving alae

+1

You have a mild degree of alar-columellar disharmony with a slight columellar retraction and slight hanging of the alae.  These can be improved with rhinoplasty, as well as the other problems mentioned by other surgeons

Sam Naficy, MD

Problem with nose does not appear to be the alae

+1

The problem with the appearance of your nose does not appear to be with the alae.  Rather, you have  slight dorsal hump and wide nasal tip.  I would recommend leaving your alae alone and removal of the dorsal hump and reduction in the width of the nasal tip with a rhinoplasty.

James Tang, MD

+1

You have a bolbous tip with a classic parenthesis deformity. This is due to the curvature and orientation of the cartilages that make up the tip. You need lateral strut grafts with re-orientation of the lower lateral cartilages.

A traditional rhinoplasty with trimming of the cartilages will make this worse. Consult with a rhinoplasty specialist.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improve my nose

+1

It appears to me that your alae are just fine.  You could benefit from refining the tip of the nose and make it less round.  In addition the tip can be rotated up just a bit and I believe this will give you a very attractive nose.

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD

Improving alae look.

+1

Your alae are fine--it is the tip that could use more definition and make the alae look more balanced than they are.