How to Improve Alar Base Reduction Scar?

I had rhinoplasty in Sept 2009. Now I have a hypertrophic scar in the crease of my left nostril from alar base reduction. It seems the surgeon was more careful while stitching the right nostril and there is no hypertrophic scar there. My question is there a way to improve this scar? My surgeon is a plastic surgeon, would this not have happpened if I had gone to a rhinoplasty specialist?

Alar crease and nose hypertrophic scar

+1

I would start with pulsed dye laser treatment for this type of hypertrophic scar. Alar crease incisions can sometimes thicken. 

Alar Base Excision Scars

+1

Alar base excision is a great surgery when performed in the appropriate candidate.  The scars are hidden in the creases along the edge of the nose and cheek, but everyone heals differently - including one side versus the other.

Treating hypertrophic or thick scars can be a challenge and the treatment varies on how the scar actually looks along with the age of the scar - older scars can be less responsive to certain types of injections.

You have a number of options such as Dermabrasion, laser treatments, steroid injections as well as 5-FU if the timing is right.  Consult with your physician as this can happen in the best of hands no matter what the circumstances.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD