How Important is It to Wear my Surgical Bra?

I am currently 10 days post op and have been told by my doctor to wear my surgical bra for up to 6 weeks. I currently am only wearing it at night as it is VERY uncomfortable and gives me hideous shaped breast when worn under t shirts. I have 425cc high profile saline implants under the muscle. They look amazing when I'm not wearing the surgical bra. I'm just wondering how important it really is to wear this thing 24/7. I know some doctors require no surgical bras post op. I'm confused??

The bra IS critical after breast augmentation

+4

I have been doing breast augmentation for over 25 years and in the last 3 years I have become increasingly restrictive about wearing a specific bra I fit to the patient (not just any bra, but a specific brand and size that is fit to them by me).  I ask that it be worn 24/7 X 3 months except showering.  I also restrict any activity that might move the implants like running, jumping, pec weight training, yoga.

That seems like a pain to most patients until I show them photos of how perfect the results are now by doing that with absolutely no subtle downward or outward drift that used to be considered "normal settling."  I wouldn't have ever believed what a difference it would make until doing this myself and folowing all the results closely at monthly intervals. 

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Use of Surgical Bra after Breast implant

+2

The use of surgical bra in the first 48 hours is to assist haemostesis in the surgical planes and in the pocket created for the implant. Its therefore is most important part for my patients .In the first ten days a surgical bra is supposed to take the weight of silicone gel implant which in fact are quite heavy for someone who never had any weight in front of the chest. And thereby helps to reduce the pain .However if the cup part of the surgical bra is too tight then it can becomes the source of pain and same is true for the lowest part of the bra .It should not be too tight. While using the bra the shoulder strap should not be loose otherwise the entire purpose of the bra to take the weight is lost. This is also true that a sports bra may be more comfortable after the initial period of first 3 weeks.

Web reference: http://www.dubai-aesthetica.com/breast/breast-augmentation.html

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Bra

+2

Different surgeons use different techniques. Your surgeon should know the optimal post operative care for the surgery which he performs. You can always ask your surgeon if you can alter the postoperative care, but ensure that is a collaborative decision in order to ensure the best possible results.

Bra after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Although the use of a surgical bra  is probably not “critical”, I would suggest that it would be in your best interest to follow your plastic surgeons advise. Ultimately, he/she is responsible for your care ( not online consultants).  You may want to run this question by him/her and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

How important is it to wear a surgical bra after breast augmentation?

+1

It is important to discuss the use of a surgical bra after breast augmentation with your plastic surgeon.  Every patient heals differently after surgery.  Surgical bras are important means of support during the post-operative period when the capsule is forming.  I have some patients wear an underwire support bra during this stage if I want to maintain position of the implant to keep it from dropping if I am concerned that a patient's capsule is not strong enough.  Other patients need to wear a superior band to help the implant settle inferiorly.  Why are there differences in patient healing?  Body changes such as a tight muscle, a weak muscle, thin scar or thick reactive scar can cause differences in healing after surgery.  The importance of your plastic surgeon's experience in giving you the correct post operative advice and instructions can not be over emphasized.  

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

The importance of surgical bras after breast augmentation

+1

Wearing a bra after breast augmentation is for two main reasons - support and comfort. With your new breast implants, your breasts are now almost half a kilo heavier each! Your skin, soft tissues and breasts need some time to get used to carrying around that extra weight, and a good comfortable surgical (or sports) bra with supportive shoulder straps will take the weight off your breasts and allow the healing and scar tissues to rebuild their strength in preparation for permanently taking the new weight. 

Of course your bra should be comfortable, and it may be that a different shape or make of bra will suit you better. Surgical bras or sports bras come in all shapes and sizes and you should find one that is adequately supportive but also comfortable.

Good luck!

London Plastic Surgeon

Surgical bras are for comfort, not for results

+1

Quite a disagreement, however we believe the bra is for comfort, and should not make or break a result. If the breast pocket is just right a bra and band can provide comfort and speed settling in. If you look good and are comfortable we would tell you to go without if you wished.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Surgical bra

+1

Every surgeon is a bit different regarding the surgical bra issue. It is really a question you should ask your surgeon.

Surgical bra after augmentation

+1

Hi, the usefulness of a surgical bra and how long to wear it is very debatable. I personally recommend a sport bra instead for better comfort and adequate support for 3 to 6 weeks, but I agree that you should discuss the options with your treating surgeon since he knows what's best based on his individual experience.

Web reference: http://www.hallakplasticsurgery.com/breast-augmentation-san-diego/