How important is the Mid Sternal line when determining the new location of the NAC before preforming a Breast Reduction?

My Plastic Surgeon told me the Mid Sternal line is not important when determining the new location of the NAC, is that true? Is that common practice? Why is the Mid Sternal line important in determining the new location of the NAC? How do you determine the new location of the NAC before preforming a Breast Reduction? Are there any common standards Plastic Surgeons use in determining the new location for the NAC before preforming a Breast Reduction?

NAC located during surgery

+2
From your photograph it appears your surgeon is using the Wise pattern. This technique was developed in 1956 and I personally have not used this technique in over twenty years. The Ultimate Breast Reduction(TM) reshapes your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevates them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. The ugly vertical scars are avoided, nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed are maintained. The volume of the breast can be reduced to the patient’s desire and pain is relieved by transferring the weight of the breast to the underlying muscle. During the procedure, new nipple-areola complex is determined and is located at the most anterior portion of the breast and should point straight ahead. Best Wishes, Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663319/how-one-surgeon-is-reinventing-the-female-breast-sfw

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Midsternal line for breast reductions

+2

The mid sternal line is just one landmark for breast reduction. i use this mark to determine how off center the new nipple location will be as compared to the opposite breast. Depending upon the technique used, the ability to "center" the nipple can be difficult especially in the case of a vertical reduction when there won't be a lot of freedom of the nipple on a short "leash" of tissue.