Is It Important to Have a Specialist in African American Rhinoplasty?

Will selecting a surgeon who specializes in African American rhinoplasty lower my risk of needing it redone later or experiencing complications? I would prefer to maintain an authentic ethnic look.

Surgeons that specialize in African American rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, it is very important to select a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in ethnic rhinoplasty. Bone, skin, and cartilage structures are different among ethnicities so rhinoplasty must be performed with expert precision, especially to preserve cultural identity. Also, the risk of scarring is higher in African American rhinoplasty patients because skin is generally thicker and darker. Therefore, it is important for a surgeon to be experienced and knowledgeable working with different ethnicities to achieve the most natural looking result.

Yes, find someone with experience in ethnic rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, I would find someone with expertise in ethnic rhinoplasty.  He/she should have before/after pictures to show you of other african american rhinoplasty patients.  I have a separate photo gallery on my website specifically for ethnic rhinoplasty if you would like to have a look.

Web reference: http://www.facialplastics.info

African American Rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty is a complicated operation and is best performed by board certified facial plastic surgeons dedicated to the rhinoplasty procedure.  Many facial plastic surgeons specialize in all aspects of rhinoplasty: Ethnic, reconstructive and revision.  My advice is to find a surgeon that has many before and after photos that you find appealing. 

African American rhinoplasty.

+1
It is important to have a rhinoplasty surgeon who does many A-A noses but he must know how do do them WELL! Look for a surgeon who has excellent before after photos and speak with his patients.

It is Critical to Have a Specialist in African American Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi.  I would advise you that it is critical to have your rhinoplasty by someone who performs this surgery on African Americans routinely. Rhinoplasty, especially African American rhinoplasty, is a very complicated procedure.  African American rhinoplasty is not for the occasional rhinoplasty surgeon.  Be sure to look at before and after photos so you get a feel for the quality of their work.  See several surgeons.  Board Certification by The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery is advisable.  Best Wishes.

Dr. Pippin

Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

African American Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

I believe the answer is "yes". African American noses are unique and different as compared to Caucasian noses. Some of these differences include bulbous and wide nostrils as well as low bridges. You should seek out a plastic surgeon that can show you many before and afters and can give you patient references. In my experience with African American rhinoplasty, its always easier to get it right the first time rather than doing revision rhinoplasty especially African American rhinoplasty. Below is a link to a website which I have dedicated to African American Rhinoplasty. It describes my techniques and has many before and afters.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://www.africanamericanrhinoplasty.com

African

+1

Many of us have done a lot of African American noses. The most important part is complete understanding of what you want vs what can actually be obtained Overdoing the African American nose is a common and undesired result

Web reference: http://www.drbray.com

African American Rhinoplasty

+1

The most important thing is to go to someone who is highly experienced in rhinoplasty in general.  Very few of us specialize in one ethnic group or another. An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will be able to choose the appropriate technique suitable for the indiviual.   

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

African American rhinoplasty

+1

I don't think that you need to go to someone who "specializes" in African American rhinoplasty. An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will understand the be able to explain the differences in the African American nose. They should be able to help guide you toward what is able to be achieved and what should be avoided, all while taking into consideration your desires. Certainly you should ask if they have experience  and check out their work. Good luck.